Who has Premiere CS4 running stable? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 18th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Who has Premiere CS4 running stable?

Just a quick question guys. 10+ year Premiere user here who shelved Premeire CS3 and went back to CS2 because of increased instability. Now with Sony Vegas 8 but have been reading good things about CS4.

Just want to know who has Premiere CS4 running stable. Anybody cutting long form projects say over 1.5 hours without any memory leak problems or crashes? If so, how much ram and computer specs. DV, HDV, etc? Many thanks.

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

It's running great for me. I've got it running on my workstation under Vista64 and my laptop with Vista32, and they both handle DV and HDV with no problems. I've worked with HD on the workstation (P2 and XDCAM HD) on both, but the workstation handles the footage very smoothly.

I haven't done much long form work with it, but I've pushed it hard using dynamic link and mixing formats, and it's performed really well. I'd recommend it.

I would say this, the more powerful the system, the better your experience will be...I'd say run Vista64 with as much RAM as you can get.
Eric Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

No problems here.

I am running CS4 Master Collection under Vista 64 (and now have the trial version installed under windows 7 RC1 which is running exceptionally well)

I have a core I7 920 o/c to 3.6ghz with 12gb DDR3 1600 ram on a Asus P6T motherboard.
O/S on 500gb HDD
500gb HDD as a extra for miscellaneous files
and 2 x 1TB HDD's running as Raid0 to editing from.

Entire system has yet to have a problem, and has been runing in its current setup for about 3 months.

Most my edits are 60 - 90 mins, on numerous timelines. I do mainly Weddings so I break up each section to its own timeline so I can work individually with them before nesting them into a main timeline to Dynamic link to Encore and/or After Effects.

Brett
Griffin Video Productions - Sydney Wedding Videos and DVD
Brett Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Running on XP32, a move from 2 GB of memory to 4 GB improved stability somewhat, but a change from a Core 2, 3 GHz to a quad core 3 GHz processor made a major difference. The original problems were not crashing, but freezing for two or three minutes at intervals.

I think the moral is, use Vista 64, with the fastest quad core processor you can find, and maybe 8 GB of memory.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite