This effect, but for video? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 7th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

This effect, but for video?

Anyone know how to get this effect with the darkening of the edges, and the deeper color? I have tried upping the saturation and crushing the blacks in the video, but I am not sure what way to get this one...

Oh and if you know it for Photoshop that would be great too!

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4246612_n.jpg
Old July 7th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #2
Major Player

"Vignette"
(Magic Bullet Looks does it very easily)
& some color tweaking
(again: MBL)

Best

Vasco
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Trustee

Photoshop: create elliptical selection. Select inverse selection. Feather substantially (amount depends on resolution of your original) Select image >apply image. Select multiply mode. Select percent to apply according to your taste. If the part you want to darken has burnout whites in it, there's nothing to apply, you might apply a judicious amount of brightness control there. (Brightness/contrast is a very bad tool to apply to a whole image but is useful to tweak selections.)

You can adjust color intensity of the entire image, or a selection, with image > adjust >hue and saturation. You can conveniently darken an image and adjust the color contrast if you know how to use the curves function, which takes more discussion than we have room for here....hth / Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Well I know its a vignette, lol, But how can I get it on PP? I tried making my own... Yeah, bad idea, looked like crap after I exported it from PS...
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Trustee

I haven't thought this out all the way, but I think you could make a travelling mask using the ellipse tool in the titler, apply it to a second copy of the clip, bring down the brightness on the overlaying clip a little; not at my Premiere computer so not sure where to get a feather on the mask...apply some blur, I suppose...this is not a tutorial, obviously, just an idea to get you started...bvaughan

PS there is a vignette lighting effect in After Effects, if you have that. I think old versions of PP had a Movie Looks plugin as a bonus from Red Giant,(what Vasco mentioned) but I don't have that in CS4....maybe they quit providing it....you can buy it, but it's $$$.....

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; July 7th, 2009 at 06:52 PM. Reason: addendum
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #6
Trustee

Battle's on the right track. A feathered elliptical mask overlaid on the footage. I hear that CS4 has Blending Mode capabilities like AE and Photoshop. Play with the blending mode options but I think "darken" would be a good place to start.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #7
Trustee

Or you might try "multiply" which is an effect similar to overlaying two transparancies and letting them add density to each other; the "darken" blend effect compares the pixels in each layer and takes the darker pixels from each image, which won't darken anything unless one layer has darker pixels than the other to begin with....multiply works great except, of course, in burnout areas where there isn't anything to multiply ( 0 times 0 is 0...) Great way to save overexposed images in photoshop, if they have detail but it's just too light, btw... /bv
Old July 9th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I would create the desired vignette in photoshop. Place it on the premiere timeline on a track above your footage. Turn off visibility (the eye icon) for that track. Add the Calculations effect to your clip underneath and target the invisible track.

This will allow you to use blending modes even if you don't have CS4. I think Soft Light is the best for vignettes.
Mike Hannon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite