H264 CS4 nightmare at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 28th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

H264 CS4 nightmare

Hello,

When exporting H264 from CS4 media encoder, the resulting file stutters, and green flickers are present when played on the latest quick time player.

You can read more about this issue at Adobe Forums: Premier CS4 and the Media Encoder,...

Now here is my dilemma, I need to export numerous videos from CS4, that need to be able to play flawlessly on both Mac or PC. I have been exporting my files with animation codec to retain the highest quality, and then bringing it into a third party app to finally convert to H264.

The problem is the animation codec takes forever and blows the file up to a ridiculous size. It's not practical and moreover, it's probably overkill. I I don't mind a quality hit, can anyone recommend another codec or better workflow?
Joe Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #2
Trustee

Have you considered Flash?
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Trustee

Could this be a quicktime problem? Everytime Apple updates it, something breaks, seems like. Installed 7.6 and it crashed AME altogether, I went back to 7.5 and everything is working (although I have not experimented with the exact problem you mention). / Battle Vaughan / miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Joe.
I a have the Matrox CompressedHD card and it does a grand job of .h264 files and very quickly too. What many havnt realised is that mp4 (.h264) is just a wrapper so you can rename the file with .avi, .mov, .flv exstensions and it will play in those players.
To be honest the Adobe media encoder doesnt do a good job of .h264 in my opinion.
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Maybe I'll try flash, and I read it could be a quicktime issue.
Joe Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #6
Major Player

Why don`t you try to play the result H264 files on another computer? It might be only corrupt QT playback on your machine (probably due to that QT update).
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

You can to use VLC player, it works fine.
Manuel Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I was doing a test today with MTS files converted to H.264 in CS4. I noticed the same thing. The image wasn't bad but it studdered a lot. I then opened the H.264 file in AVS Media player and then a DivX player and it played fine. So it is a Quicktime problem. At least on a PC.
David Merrill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite