DV Rack - very nice if it works as advertized - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 9th, 2004, 06:26 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Christopher, I just heard back from the lead developer of DVR and he said it doesn't support HD at this time.
Old September 9th, 2004, 07:56 AM   #32
Trustee

Yeah, I actually talked to the guy on the phone. Seems like a nice guy. However, just like you said no support for HDV...yet?

I'd like to put a shout out for any current and future HDV users to request support. This product would be HUGELY beneficial to us.

Interestingly, the DV Rack guy said they had an HDV camera!

Murph
Old September 18th, 2004, 01:15 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Lawrence,

DV Rack already works as you ask. The S-Video (or composite) Out video port on laptops is not just a copy of the laptop's main screen. This output can display a different image and DV Rack displays the contents of its field monitor here, including clip playback, Zoom, Split, Safe Area, Zebras, etc.

--- Mark
Mark Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2004, 04:22 PM   #34
Regular Crew

That sounds great Mark
I look forward to trying that out on the demo

What are yor thoughts on adding the simple editing 'rack' to the software

Just make a simple in and out point in the 'rack' that records the clip, and drag it to a timeline rack.

If something like that is included at a later date, like a xx.1 version update, and I bought the software now, do you think I would have to pay more money to get that update?

Basically if this is going to ever be included, I will wait to buy DV Rack then, because this I really think would be a great addition

regards
Lawrence
Lawrence Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2004, 11:19 AM   #35
Tourist

Just downloaded the trial version. I am very impressed. If I can scrounge up the money I will definately buy it.
Old September 19th, 2004, 06:53 PM   #36
Regular Crew

question re field monitor function

Just a question to Mark.
As you know the lcd display has a differen gamma setting and is of course progressive unlike field crt monitors. Does DVRack adjust the gamma to display a more "accurate" color and exposure?
Tung Bui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2004, 05:05 AM   #37
RED Code Chef

DV Rack FAQ

Will video calibration work effectively on the LCD monitor on my laptop?
(4th question from bottom)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2004, 12:20 PM   #38
Barry Wan Kenobi

Just used DV Rack in the field for the first time.

Suffice it to say, I just ordered a 30' firewire cable, and I hope never to shoot without DV Rack again! :)
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #39
New Boot

DV RACK

Downloaded the trial version. IT is INCREDIBLE. Very easy and Ultra Portable. I downloaded it around noon today and I have already shot some highlight with it. LOVE IT........

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how user friendly this application is. It allows you to set up your "RACK" how you want it.

Great Application with a million uses in the field.

SC
Old September 20th, 2004, 10:45 PM   #40
Barry Wan Kenobi

When I first got it, I wasn't even planning on using the digital disk recorder feature that much, I was primarily interested in the waveform, vectorscope, and field monitor.

I didn't even know you can ZOOM IN on the field monitor, which is way cool...

... and the digital disk recorder is phenomenal.

And the audio monitor is just a bonus -- the ability to see with your eyes where the frequency range is falling, instead of arbitrarily trying to hear it, is very handy.

Don't care much for "SureShot", I can focus better with the zoomed-in monitor and set exposure more accurately with the waveform and the zebras.

Overall, an absolutely fantastic program. I went and bought a laptop just to be able to use it, and I still think it's a steal.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 10:42 AM   #41
Serious Magic

Full screen view

Barry,

Since you're so happy to have the zoom feature, I just wanted to make sure you knew about the full screen mode in which the video takes over the whole monitor. To toggle between the normal and full screen views, simply press ALT+ENTER. All the keyboard shortcuts for clip playback work when the video's filling the screen and the transport controls are nowhere to be found.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 11:48 AM   #42
Trustee

Hey Mark, what's the chances of a "HDV" version coming out to accompany the HDR-FX1? I'd be first in line to purchase..

Murph
Old September 22nd, 2004, 02:38 PM   #43
Barry Wan Kenobi

Re: Full screen view

Quote:
Since you're so happy to have the zoom feature, I just wanted to make sure you knew about the full screen mode in which the video takes over the whole monitor.
Whoa... just tried it on my 17" LCD... AMAZING! Very, very cool. You can zoom in a lot closer, but the full-screen monitor looks great!

You guys really seem to enjoy working on this software, don't you? It shows in the final product.

Still think you need to change the 16:9/4:3 switch. Ideally it'd be a button on the front panel, but if not, the menu option should work more like a Panasonic BT-H1390Y: either 16:9 or 4:3. If you want to provide for more aspect ratios inbetween, maybe you could make it through shift-clicking on the arrows to scroll through by small increments.

Just used it on a shoot, I am flat-out loving this software, haven't been this pleased with a software purchase since I dumped Premiere and first got Vegas 4+DVD. I bought a laptop specifically to use it, and now I'm starting to think about one of those micro-laptops with the little 7" screens, I think DV Rack on one of those palmtops would be a dynamite, indispensable combination!
Old September 22nd, 2004, 06:59 PM   #44
Serious Magic

Trial Users -- Did our E-mailed Survey get through?

To anybody who has downloaded the Trial Version of DV Rack:

We sent out a survey by e-mail to people who downloaded the DV Rack trial recently, and the number of replies has been less than expected. With so many filters out there that block presumptive spam, we are wondering whether people are even receiving the survey. So if you have it, would you do us the favor of dropping me a note with the following info?
* What site did you download the trial from? (seriousmagic.com, downloads.com, other???)
* Did you receive an e-mail from Serious Magic asking you to fill out a survey?

In order to avoid clogging this thread with replies on this matter, please send your response to mmapes@seriousmagic.com. I assure you on my honor that you will not receive any emails from us as a result (with the possible exception of a courtesy thank-you, and unless, of course, you request any information).

Thanks for helping us get a handle on this matter.
Old October 6th, 2004, 05:22 AM   #45
Trustee

Virtual PC 7 released - DV Rack compatible?

Hey Mark,

Microsoft just released the "Virtual PC 7" software. Does this version include the pieces needed to get DV Rack working for HDV on Macs? I'm bummed that Virtual PC 6 wasn't useful in that way - if Virtual PC 7 is compatible I'll buy it and DV Rack!

Murph

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite