DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   (PPro) How to change Field Options (deinterlace) globally? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/26707-ppro-how-change-field-options-deinterlace-globally.html)

Ming Dong May 28th, 2004 04:11 PM

(PPro) How to change Field Options (deinterlace) globally?

I can only bring up the Field Options by right clicking on each clip, but I have many clips in my sequnce. If I "Group" the clips, the Field Options are no longer available. There must be a way to apply the "De-interlace" setting globally, that is, to all the clips at once?

Thanks

Steven Gotz May 29th, 2004 03:33 PM

You can not do that in PPro. Yet. It is a good feature request. Get in on the party and request it yourself. MAny have done so. The more who do, the better.

Ming Dong May 29th, 2004 03:52 PM

Thanks. I just requested it through Adobe.com

But I don't see why they designed it that way? Is there a reason you would want to de-interlace on a clip by clip basis? Seems it should be a project level option. <<shrugs shoulders>>

Steven Gotz May 29th, 2004 04:05 PM

Well, at a project level is what I do. I deinterlace as I export. That way it stays interlaced when I export to DVD so it looks better.

Ming Dong May 29th, 2004 04:19 PM

Steven,

How do you deinterlace when exporting? I can't find that option anywhere?

Ming

Steven Gotz May 29th, 2004 05:34 PM

It is automatic in the Windows Media 9 encoding, and it isn't necessary when exporting to DVD.

What do you export as?

Ming Dong May 29th, 2004 10:32 PM

I export to mpeg1 if I am sharing via website. Otherwise, I export to DVD.

Steven Gotz May 29th, 2004 11:07 PM

I see. There are very few people who still use MPEG1 for web delivery. Most everyone has gone to WMV, MOV or one of the highly compressed codecs for AVI like Divx.

The newer codecs automatically deinterlace. I can see you problem, but I know of no solution.

Ming Dong May 30th, 2004 09:17 AM

Hmmm. I chose MPEG1 because I thought it was the only universally playable format? In other words, it will play on your most basic MAC or PC without any additional software.

If there are other cross-platform video formats, that do not require additional software(or codecs), I'd sure be interested? :)

Steven Gotz May 30th, 2004 01:39 PM

Well, you are correct in that. It is universal. But it is old and not nearly as efficient. If it suits you, then fine. I suggest that you deinterlace each clip before you use it. Then you don't have to worry about it.

However, I suggest you take a good look at your viewers. If the people who watch your videos are like most PC users, they have a free copy of Quicktime on their PC already, or can download one. If they are corporate users they may not be able to do that.

But if they can, buy Sorenson Squeeze to get the Sorenson Pro codec. Twice the quality at half the file size.

If there are really no Mac users watching your stuff, then the WM9 codec is the best around.

It is up to you. But I suggest that you do a little experimenting and some research into your customers.

Ming Dong June 12th, 2004 11:00 AM

I found the (global) deinterlace option in PPro

In the Adobe Media Encoder.
Click on "Video" in the Summary section
On the right, scroll down to the bottom to see the button for deinterlace.

Now, I no longer need to select this in the "Field Options" of every clip in my sequence. Phew.