(PPro) How to change Field Options (deinterlace) globally? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 28th, 2004, 04:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

(PPro) How to change Field Options (deinterlace) globally?

I can only bring up the Field Options by right clicking on each clip, but I have many clips in my sequnce. If I "Group" the clips, the Field Options are no longer available. There must be a way to apply the "De-interlace" setting globally, that is, to all the clips at once?

Thanks
Ming Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2004, 03:33 PM   #2
Trustee

You can not do that in PPro. Yet. It is a good feature request. Get in on the party and request it yourself. MAny have done so. The more who do, the better.
Steven Gotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks. I just requested it through Adobe.com

But I don't see why they designed it that way? Is there a reason you would want to de-interlace on a clip by clip basis? Seems it should be a project level option. <<shrugs shoulders>>
Old May 29th, 2004, 04:05 PM   #4
Trustee

Well, at a project level is what I do. I deinterlace as I export. That way it stays interlaced when I export to DVD so it looks better.
Old May 29th, 2004, 04:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Steven,

How do you deinterlace when exporting? I can't find that option anywhere?

Ming
Old May 29th, 2004, 05:34 PM   #6
Trustee

It is automatic in the Windows Media 9 encoding, and it isn't necessary when exporting to DVD.

What do you export as?
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I export to mpeg1 if I am sharing via website. Otherwise, I export to DVD.
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:07 PM   #8
Trustee

I see. There are very few people who still use MPEG1 for web delivery. Most everyone has gone to WMV, MOV or one of the highly compressed codecs for AVI like Divx.

The newer codecs automatically deinterlace. I can see you problem, but I know of no solution.
Old May 30th, 2004, 09:17 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hmmm. I chose MPEG1 because I thought it was the only universally playable format? In other words, it will play on your most basic MAC or PC without any additional software.

If there are other cross-platform video formats, that do not require additional software(or codecs), I'd sure be interested? :)
Old May 30th, 2004, 01:39 PM   #10
Trustee

Well, you are correct in that. It is universal. But it is old and not nearly as efficient. If it suits you, then fine. I suggest that you deinterlace each clip before you use it. Then you don't have to worry about it.

However, I suggest you take a good look at your viewers. If the people who watch your videos are like most PC users, they have a free copy of Quicktime on their PC already, or can download one. If they are corporate users they may not be able to do that.

But if they can, buy Sorenson Squeeze to get the Sorenson Pro codec. Twice the quality at half the file size.

If there are really no Mac users watching your stuff, then the WM9 codec is the best around.

It is up to you. But I suggest that you do a little experimenting and some research into your customers.
Old June 12th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I found the (global) deinterlace option in PPro

In the Adobe Media Encoder.
Click on "Video" in the Summary section
On the right, scroll down to the bottom to see the button for deinterlace.

Now, I no longer need to select this in the "Field Options" of every clip in my sequence. Phew.
Ming Dong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite