Maximize Adobe PremierePro Monitor to 2nd Monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 27th, 2004, 04:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Maximize Adobe PremierePro Monitor to 2nd Monitor

I have the ability to use dual monitors. My card lets me continue the desktop over to the second monitor so that I have twice the space. I may do this with an RCA connection. I would like to have my CRT monitor on the left with Adobe Premiere Pro open with the timeline and project folder, and on the right, I would like to put my color production monitor. Is there a way to maximize the Adobe Premiere Video Monitor to the Color Production Monitors screen?
Bryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2004, 05:54 PM   #2
Major Player

Don't know if Premeire can, but the product named after the city you're in will do that. ; )

But I use the Premeire Pro setup we have at our church and I'm pretty sure it has something similar to what you've described as the dual monitor setup we use. Couldn't tell you how to get it there though, try to do as little work with Premeire as possible. Much easier to edit in Vegas.
Old July 28th, 2004, 04:21 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm thinking of switching to something else. I've always found Premiere to be very easy, but I've been editing my short (have about 6 hours of footage ect inside the project) and about 12 minutes on the timeline, and the program just runs very very slow. Everytime I click out of the program to chat or something, when I click back in it takes like 15 seconds to regain focus. It's really crappy. I wish I had a G5.
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have a dual monitor setup and use it with Premiere in almost the same you were are asking about.

I use an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and two HP p1120 monitors.

Works great.
Charlie Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2004, 04:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Well, if anyone could help me out with my actual problem...

Anyone know how to maximize the timeline monitor's video to the second monitor? I think this would be very useful to use with my color production monitor.
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Mitchell : Well, if anyone could help me out with my actual problem...

Anyone know how to maximize the timeline monitor's video to the second monitor? I think this would be very useful to use with my color production monitor. -->>>

Ok, sorry for not fully addressing the question.

I don't think you can maximize the monitors. You can make it single view, and choose a higher magnification by right clicking on the monitor but your choices are limited and from what I've noticed just now you either get 2/3 of the screen, or it's too big.

So if you're looking for a way to make the timeline monitor display full-screen on your second display I don't think this is possible.

Unless someone else knows how to get this done. I'd be interested in hearing how to do this as well.
Charlie Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:03 PM   #7
Major Player

Patrick, I've been thinking about switching over to vegas 5. I think I'll probably get a copy as long as this works. You say you can in fact maximize the viewing window to a second monitor?
Old July 30th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Bryan,
You should hook up your NTSC monitor via your deck and set Premiere to output video via firewire. On your deck, set the conversion to go in the right direction (DV --> analog instead of vice versa).

You avoid many issues by doing that. Most of the time with NLEs, the output on the software's video monitor is drastically different from what people will see on a TV.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 10:55 PM   #9
Major Player

My current deck is just a ZR60, and it doesn't have an RCA port on it, unless I'm mistaken, so I can't connect the monitor to that. I would use my XL1s but the firewire port on it stopped working a few weeks ago. :(
Old July 31st, 2004, 08:54 AM   #10
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Mitchell : Patrick, I've been thinking about switching over to vegas 5. I think I'll probably get a copy as long as this works. You say you can in fact maximize the viewing window to a second monitor? -->>>

Yes you can, but I'm about to re-rig and I'm thinking of buying a WXGA LCD monitor for the timeline, media bins, color corrector, and all the other tools, and then instead of spend the money on a second LCD monitor, purchase an actual studio monitor for the Preview window. Probably a little more expensive, but probably a better setup.
Old July 31st, 2004, 10:48 AM   #11
Wrangler

Bryan,

The RCA plug is the standard yellow phono plug that you normalluse to plug into your television when viewing your footage.

simply, connect your ZR to the computer via firewire, then hook the RCA plaugs to a TV.

Make sure you have set the preferences to Playback via firewire.

Cheers,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2004, 09:05 PM   #12
Major Player

I know what RCA plugs are. And I assume you mean the RCA plug on the back of my ZR camera, because hooking my camera up to firewire, and the video card RCA to a tv won't do anything. You assume I have RCA plugs on the back of my ZR, which I don't.
Old July 31st, 2004, 09:26 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Bryan, your camcorder should come with a cable like the following:

http://www.cablewholesale.com/popupspecs/10a1-04103.htm

The mini-phone/mini-jack/mini-plug/3.5mm/eighth inch part plugs into your camera.
The RCAs plug into your TV/monitor of course.
You may need to set the camera to convert DV --> analog (instead of vice versa).

Most camcorders can convert DV to analog on the fly.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2004, 06:42 AM   #14
Major Player

Hmm, well, the only place to stick anything in my camera, besides the power, and besides the firewire is a little connector that might be a svideo connector, but I don't think I got a cable with it, but I'll go check my box.
Old August 1st, 2004, 12:40 PM   #15
Major Player

Ahhhh, NM. I found it. It was another secret latch thing. I found the cord in my box too. Thank you for your help, I'll try the firewire out, rca in method. I'm sure it will work great.
Bryan Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite