Adobe Premiere Pro HDV plugin at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 8th, 2004, 02:44 AM   #1
Trustee

Adobe Premiere Pro HDV plugin

"Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE) today announced an expansion of its IEEE-1394 support, with the addition of a HDV(TM) plug-in for Adobe(R) Premiere(R) Pro 1.5, its award-winning video editing software. Adobe is developing the HDV plug-in, available later this year, to work with the next generation of HDV cameras, such as Sony's HDR-FX1 -- also announced today. Using Adobe Premiere Pro, in conjunction with new HDV cameras, video professionals will be able to quickly and easily capture, edit in real-time, and output broadcast-quality high-definition video."

Can anyone clarify what this plugin offers? How does this compare with AspectHD?
Old September 8th, 2004, 03:00 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

My understanding is that this plugin supports the new HDV
standard. Nothing more and nothing less.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:42 AM   #3
Major Player

As a very rough guess....I'm not an Adobe programmer - the plug-in will add device support as stated, so the HDV MPEG2 transport stream can be captured directly to Premiere Pro. Further, I'd imagine the problems inherent in Premiere Pro (at present), with handling i.e. decoding the MPEG2 HDV data will be addressed.

This should mean that Premiere Pro will be more capable with HDV than it's current not very good status...er, that is without AspectHD of course. You should assume that you'll still need something like AspectHD if you want 'the real deal', but at least you won't have system hangs in the middle of a project, or having to muck around with compatible formats of HD rez DV that Pro will recognize just to load a clip.....
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #4
Trustee

"My understanding is that this plugin supports the new HDV
standard. Nothing more and nothing less."

They claim RT performance. This says to me they aren't editing in mpeg2. Mr Newman?
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:51 AM   #5
Major Player

I've read that the plugin is for PP1.5 - is there going to be a version for DL that will be compatible with PP1? I would hate to have to upgrade and get the plugin....
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 05:26 PM   #6
Trustee

Bump....
Mr Newman?
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:24 PM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Ken,

So you noticed I'm saying nothing on this subject. Yes, we know exactly what Adobe is doing but NDA prevents much discussion on this matter for a short while. Sorry.
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:15 PM   #8
Major Player

er, Mr. Newman, similar NDA in effect in regard to Vegas Video?

Just wondering since Connect HD supports Vegas so well and so little has been said about Sony Vegas Video supporting HDV "directly" to date when compared to the press releases from the likes of Ulead, Pinnacle, Adobe - any comments?

Mr. Newman?

Please at least say if you're again bound by an NDA rather than saying nothing at all - thank you!

Anything in the works?

Come on!

Guess you guys are excited by the news of the Sony? I haven't even had to find out about Cineform until today when I started researching how the heck I was going to edit HDV effectively on my PC....
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 11:38 PM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It is funny about all the recent press releases for HDV compatible NLE software; CineForm didn't do a press release because it would basically say that we already support HDV, and we will roll out a free minor update it time for the Sony camera. Too boring for a press release. :)

At the unveiling of this camera in Japan (and at IBC), several editing systems were also shown running Sony HDV footage, guess who's codec and software was running underneith (for the rhetorically challenged -> CineForm.) Sony Vegas staff commented that Connect HD made editing the Sony HDV footage 5 times faster than the native mode. That doesn't bode well for all those native solutions, except for Apple who gets to sell a bunch of the fastest dual G5s, because your going to need it. :)

For CineForm this is all in the past, we have estabished products that now finally get a higher volume camera to work with. For course we have new things in the works, nothing much I'm can speak of yet (other than Prospect HD is now shipping -- our 10 bit real-time HDSDI editing system -- there will be big news breaking about that soon.)

Yes, we at CineForm are very happy with Sony's announcement.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite