DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Serious Magic DVRack (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/31920-serious-magic-dvrack.html)

Karl Soule April 8th, 2005 10:22 AM

How many of you plan on coming to NAB this year?

Christopher C. Murphy April 8th, 2005 11:13 AM

Karl, I'm going to NAB just to kick Serious Magic in the butt. (ok, not literally)

HDV should be #1 on your "to do" list!

Brent Marks April 8th, 2005 01:54 PM

Will SeriousMagic have DV-RACK ready for HDV at NAB??

Barry Green April 8th, 2005 04:24 PM

Sounds like that's what Karl was hinting at...

Karl Soule April 14th, 2005 12:28 PM

Ask me that question in a week. ;)

Christopher C. Murphy April 14th, 2005 12:33 PM

WAY COOL!!!

I just might have to buy a PC laptop.....damn it.

Brent Marks April 14th, 2005 01:13 PM

Please let it be true!

Christopher C. Murphy April 14th, 2005 01:39 PM

April Fool's is over, so it better not be!

Brent Marks April 19th, 2005 12:46 AM

So did they release it for HDV?!?!?!?

Hugh DiMauro April 21st, 2005 08:31 AM

DV Rack Question for Mr. Soule

How long of a firewire cord may I use with DV RACK?

Shannon Rawls April 21st, 2005 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh DiMauro
How long of a firewire cord may I use with DV RACK?

I have used a 75 foot 4-pin firewire cord with 100% success. Remember, digital video only uses about 1/4th the datarate that firewire provides, so long runs are OK. 15 feet is the maximum length to get 400mbs, but you can go up to 150 feet and run 100mbs no problem.

- ShannonRawls.com

Hugh DiMauro April 21st, 2005 11:51 AM

Is that taking into consideration shielded/braided "premium" cable or our good old garden variety bottom-of-the-line firewire cable? The reason why I ask is because those questions were thrown out to me when I made an inquiry at Serious Magic phone support. I was told that anything over six feet requires shielded/braided cable and maybe even "power boosters" if my laptop (plugged into wall current) and XL1s (battery powered) weren't powerful enough to push the signal through.

Are you using the "good stuff" or the "regular stuff?"

Thanks, Shannon.

Barry Green April 21st, 2005 12:07 PM

I've been using a 30-foot cable from Laird with no problems.

The FireWire specification calls for a maximum cable length of 4.5 meters, or under 15 feet. Anything longer than that is technically out-of-spec, so you would be best served to be using the very best cable you can get. Laird and some others are making long cables that seem to work. I don't know what magic they're employing to get past the length restrictions, but it is working.

Shannon Rawls April 21st, 2005 12:10 PM

good stuff.

i can't seem to find it online anymore to give you a link. I bought it from markertek.com but they dont seem to carry it any longer. Wow....i must have a classic cable then. *smile* I was gonna give it away, but I think i'll hold on to this puppy now. *smile*

either way, i dont think they make a 'cheap' 75 footer, so if you find one in that length, then you are probably ok. remember, DV is less then 100mbs, not 400mbs that the spec calls for, so thats why the longer cables are working without a problem.

- shannonrawls.com

Hugh DiMauro April 21st, 2005 12:51 PM

Thank you both very much for your prompt, courteous replies. Shannon, when you say "good stuff" do you mean the fancy, braided cable with the see-thru covering?