How Serious is Serious Magic? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old January 11th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #16
Serious Magic

Rhett,
On the issue of developers sticking only with Windows "because it easier," I think you're putting an undeservedly negative slant on it. Yes, most developers work with one platform or language or another. Many are fluent in multiple languages, mostly because of the evolution of those languages. But in my experience their preference for working in one language and on one platform is a matter of expertise and specialization. Let me steer away from software to my background: history (Ph.D, History of Technology, U. of Delaware, 1999). I could teach a several mean courses in the history of technology as well as a survey course in American History, post Civil War. But I wouldn't be any good at Roman History, for instance. Even Colonial American History would be a stretch. In the medical field, would you want a proctologist performing a coronary bypass on you?

So our crew consists of a bunch of programmers who are quite skilled in the PC domain. If and when we decide to port any of our applications to the Mac world, we wouldn't simply have this same team bone up on Mac code; we'd hire a bunch of guys who already know that. At this point in time, such an expansion in our staff is not in the cards.

I don't know how big all the companies you list are, or how hard their programs push the limits of today's computer hardware. Both factors come into play (along with many others) when deciding whether to go dual-platform. The lead developer on DV Rack insists that porting DV Rack, which is very resource intensive, would take a team the better part of a year.

As for whether I really think you "need to carry my Powerbook AND buy another PC laptop to carry as well," for the last time I wouldn't presume to tell you what you need. All we can say is, "Here's DV Rack. It runs on a PC." If you like it enough to buy it, you'll need to have a PC to run it on or else you'll have little more than a shiny $500 coaster.
Old January 11th, 2005, 10:42 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Stop Whining!!!

Stop complaining. If you don't own a PC, tough! Get over it already. The last time I checked, Serious Magic was a privately owned business. They have the right to make whatever decisions they see fit. How would you like it if some stranger walked into your business and told you how you should do things?
Old January 11th, 2005, 11:16 PM   #18
Major Player

<<How would you like it if some stranger walked into your business and told you how you should do things?>>

Actually it's done every day Alex..it's called business evolution and most forward thinking and successful companies expect it and benefit from it. And I would think you could appreciate the discourse in a community that exists for the free and honest dissemination of information.

This place also allows, in a positive way, for companies like Serious Magic to promote their products - as they and others do to one degree or another in every post by one of their representatives.

That opportunity for exposure comes from this open discourse and open discourse like this should always involve questions and suggestions and criticisms and responses. That's life in the real world, in the creative world and one of the things that makes this place valuable.

It was an interesting and informative exchange on a rare day off for me. It answered a lot of questions and raised a few and I'm pretty sure Mark would agree that it resolved in a positive and friendly way on both ends.

I don't see the negative if you followed the brief thread. I now have a much better sense of the company and it's make-up and philosophy as well as my options for using or not using DV Rack; and perhaps Serious Magic has gained some additional insight as to the potential of this product to the Mac community.

That's why I started this thread.
Old January 11th, 2005, 11:16 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

I must agree with Alex DeJesus completely.

Unfortunately there are always plenty of arm-chair quarterbacks who think they know what's best for somebody else's business. These guys really need to stick to videography; and I would never pretend to know how to better shoot their scenes.

As for sardonic wit, and grins, and smilies, personally I hate that junk and I set up this place to get away from it. There's far too much sarcasm on the net as it is already. Please keep that nonsense out of here.

I'd like to personally thank Mark Mapes for taking the high road in this discussion. Since I've previously done consulting work for Canopus, I know how difficult his position can be. The day that PC apps such as DV Rack are easily ported to the Mac is the day we'll finally get Final Cut Pro on a PC. In other words, it ain't gonna happen. Alex DeJesus said it best, get over it. The "sardonic" approach doesn't exactly convince anybody of anything.

With that understanding, this thread is finished. If any PC users have any questions regarding any Serious Magic product, I heartily encourage them to post, and I heartily encourage Mark Mapes and all the other wonderful folks at Serious who are also members here to please continue to respond -- your input is always graciously appreciated by the vast majority of us here at DV Info Net. Much respect,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite