Is This Graphics Card OK for Premiere Pro 1.5? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 10th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #1
Major Player

Is This Graphics Card OK for Premiere Pro 1.5?

hi all,

currently building my new PC for premiere pro 1.5 & would like to know if this is a suitable graphics card... check the following link

http://au.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1...70&modelmenu=1

i'd like to use an asus brand graphics card as this is what my local dealer can mostly get.

thanks...
James Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #2
Inner Circle

If you want to run Premiere Pro with dual/two monitors, you may want the Premiere program window to span both monitors (they have to be same resolution).

ATI cards can't do this without a shareware program called Ultramon.
Nvidia cards can do it.

For video editing, I would go with Nvidia-based cards that are dual monitor. Check that the card gives the right outputs for your monitors (DVI/VGA) and your motherboard has the right interface (pciE, AGP).

2- For video editing, go with something basic because the video card usually doesn't do all that much. Some compositing/effects programs can take advantage of openGL acceleration. In that case, look at a Nvidia (not ATI) gaming-line card (which are crappy at openGL acceleration, but cheap), or workstation-type cards like the ATI fire series or Nvidia Quadro series.

3- For gaming, gaming-type cards perform better than workstation-type cards. I would check arstechnica.com's buyer's guide.

4- That card will work if you run single monitor, or dual monitor with Ultramon.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:46 AM   #3
Major Player

thanks Glenn
James Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi
I use an ATI 9600 pro as My display card along with My RT.X100, & span across 2 monitors using Radeon drivers, don`t have to use ultramon.

Hope this helps, regards.

Peter.
Peter Higginbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:56 AM   #5
Inner Circle

"ATI cards can't do this without a shareware program called Ultramon.
Nvidia cards can do it."

Hi Glen, im curious where you got this information from??
I dont mean to publicly correct you, but most of the Ati range has always allowed for spanning and sliding panels across displays, U can even get a pci vga card and span 3 or 4 if need be with the standard catalyst drivers.
Ive been doing this for over 2 years now and havent needed any addition drivers or plugins

moving on,
One thing to note about dual/triple etc head cards is that most of them do take away some performance from the main system.

The only ones which dont have this issue would be the matrox range of gfx cards, as theyre specifically designed for 2d video and multiple displays. They also run higher bitrate configs and are about twice to three times as much $$
a 32mb p450 will run premiere and a matrox rtx100 no problem..
throw on after effects, and youll start to feel it ..

at this stage, i would go for an Nvidia GeForce6800GT and overclock it
256bit, 256mb, super fast unit and equivalent to running 2x 6600GT's in SLI mode
Not cheap but will last you for a couple of years if al ur doing is video..

as Glen mentioned, if your doing 3d titles/effect/cg work, you'll need open GL capable card. at least v1.5 but i think the GEforce6800 is up to OpenGL2.0
Most cards offer this anyway

Last edited by Peter Jefferson; May 13th, 2005 at 09:52 AM.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:58 AM   #6
Inner Circle

oh, forgot to mention, if ur running a matrox rtx100 with prem pro you WILL have issues with a 6600 or 6800

at the moment there are overlay issues with the display driver, were still tryin to work out how to get both video overlay happening thru the RTX BoB AND preview in Prem Pro at the same time.. we cant do this as yet.. its either one or the other

a geforce5750 WILL work though.. it u can find one..
Old May 13th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #7
Major Player

The ATI 9600 agp 128 meg card performs the above with great results and no 3rd party software.

Adobe might have precise answers for you with regard to your choice.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #8
Trustee

Yes, I too have a ATI 9600 8X AGP 256MB and can span with no 3rd party software.

Anyone know how to get the second monitor to only display the preview window? I was able to do this in the past on a different computer, but can't seem to do this on my new system.
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:53 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
"ATI cards can't do this without a shareware program called Ultramon.
Nvidia cards can do it."

Hi Glen, im curious where you got this information from??
I dont mean to publicly correct you, but most of the Ati range has always allowed for spanning and sliding panels across displays, U can even get a pci vga card and span 3 or 4 if need be with the standard catalyst drivers.
Ive been doing this for over 2 years now and havent needed any addition drivers or plugins
I have a ATI 9200SE, and never seen an option for the spanning display mode (where the computer sees both monitors as one large monitor). Am I right here?

So, to get Premiere Pro onto both windows you have to span the one window onto both monitors. This is where I'm probably wrong?
Old May 13th, 2005, 10:13 PM   #10
Inner Circle

are you running the latest catalyst drivers??
even if ur runnign older overs from 2 yrs back (which i was) i could still get 2 heads.

if u go to ur desktop and click on properties then go to display, you should be able to tweak ur desktop settings, it shoudl show 2 monitors, active or not...

have a fiddle in here :)

as for spanning PremPro, u need to NOT have it maximised... u literally have to drag the workspace across both screens then layout ur tool boxes whereever ur comfy...

that should work.. :)
Riht click on desktop
select properties
select settings
you should see 2 boxes representing ur monitors
ther shoud be a button there called "identify" if u click that numbers 1 and 2 will pop up
thats about it really.. just set the resoultions to match, and u can now select either montior to tweak the performance in the "advanced" area
Old May 14th, 2005, 12:07 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
as for spanning PremPro, u need to NOT have it maximised... u literally have to drag the workspace across both screens then layout ur tool boxes whereever ur comfy...
Ok that's where I went wrong I think. Ultramon lets you "maximize" a window to both monitors... which is the equivalent of dragging the window until it fills both monitors. I thought you could only maximize Premiere to one window... didn't think about un-maximizing it and putting it on both monitors that way.

Sorry for my mistake everyone.
Old May 14th, 2005, 07:06 AM   #12
Inner Circle

no need to apologise mate, hell, i made teh same mistake :)
But thats why forums liek this exist :)
but i have an Nvidia at work which does this on its own.. and when i set this ati unit up.. i was tryin to figure out how to stretch it across as youve described, by maximising..

ati does it differently... I initially liked the way Nvideo would throu it. but now, after gettin used to this system, (ie maximise on either panel and its only filling that screen) i find it works better..

the only use i have 2 monitors is for my editors and sequencers.

One thing i hate though, is the fact that i can only get one video overlay happening on one or the other screen (nvidia and ati)
Oh well i guess we cant have everything..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite