Freezing when exporting to mepeg with Premiere 6.5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 27th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Freezing when exporting to mpeg with Premiere 6.5

Hi All,

I am having problems with exporting to mpeg in Premiere 6.5. It will start to export and then freeze and I would have to start my computer over again.

I have an AMD 2100XP, Pinnacle RTDV capture card with a 180 G hard drive just for video.

Can anyone help?

Dale

Last edited by Dale C. Elliott; May 27th, 2005 at 05:58 PM.
Dale C. Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Oop's forgot to mention I am using XP Pro.

Dale
Old May 28th, 2005, 06:35 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Dale. Does it freeze at the same point in the same project each time or is it seemingly random? I've had the odd experience where some part of a timeline throws off the encoder and I've either had to find and "fix" it or export to DV AVI and encode that.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi David,

It seems to do it randomly. I seem to be able to encode 2 to 5mins of certain things, but if I try a half hour or hour it seems to freeze about 3 to 7mins in. I have 1G of RAM and my video hard drive is 160 G.

I have one piece of footage that I have encoded before with no problems, but as a test tried to do the same one again and it froze up.

Dale
Old May 29th, 2005, 04:54 AM   #5
Major Player

If nothing has changed on your system since you were successful with these exports (no reinstalled software, no hardware changes) I would consider overheating, a failing power supply, maybe even disk fragmentation, less likely would be too little space remaining on the hard disk - anything less than 15% free. My P4-3Ghz media centre laptop crashed every time I exported to flash video, until I blew out the fans. Exporting uses 100% of the CPU in my experience and overheating will shut it down. A final thought would be to check the version of your Main Concept MPEG encoder plug in. If it's 1.2 (I think) consider upgrading to 1.3b (free) or 1.4+, which you'd have to buy. Email me if you want the free upgrade and can't find it.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 05:02 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi David,

Fixed. I was on another forum for Adobe mpeg and one person suggested a fix. I had to add some text to a file in Premiere.

This allowed me to export a little longer, but it still foze eventually. Then I took the side off my computer and pointed a small fan at it.

I tried to export a 1 hour piece, and it worked.

Thanks for the help and suggestions David, good to hear from you again.

Dale
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Deja Vu

In the help--->about premiere what build number is your 6.5?

It should say 6.50 [Build xxx] or something like that. 168 is the bootleg version that circulates around p2p, and 198 is the official version. There were people selling the bootlegs as if they were legit on Ebay, so it's possible that even if you purchased Premiere that you ended up with the bootlegged version, which produces the very error you describe.

Jeremiah
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 10:44 AM   #8
New Boot

hey
i am having the same problem, i read what everyone wrote and tried saving it to another drive with more space and that helped but it will still freeze up on me everytime i try when i am 2-5 minutes into exporting. i am brand new at all of this and this is my very first video i am trying to export. any help that anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Patrick Harker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 06:57 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Patrick,

What system do you have? My problem was that I did not have enough air circulating to cool the computer. I have an AMD, and they need fans to do the cooling. I added an additional fan and was able to export an hour of footage.

Dale
Old July 4th, 2005, 12:28 AM   #10
Major Player

Hmmm...

Nobody has ever said what "build" they have of Adobe 6.5. It will say in the Help then about-adobe tab.

If it's not 198, it's not an official release of the software.

Not trying to nag, but that's the fact. People on Ebay were selling copies pressed in Asia of the bootleg and representing it as legit Adobe releases, so I'm not accusing anyone of downloading.

Just curious about whether you have build 198 and are still having the problem.
Old July 4th, 2005, 07:11 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I have 6.5 R198. I got it when I purchased my Pinnacle RTDV capture card.

Dale
Old July 6th, 2005, 08:33 AM   #12
New Boot

well i think i must have they 168 bootleg version because i bought it off of ebay. so what can i do to make it work? i tried Dale's suggestion about the extra fan but that didn't seem to work. please let me know if there is anything i can do. thanks a lot.
Old July 8th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #13
Major Player

I think someone else in the thread said there was some kind of file fix? Those Ebay versions have caused a lot of trouble, there are a ton of posts on the Adobe forums about the same problem. I was burned as well by one of those cheap ebay versions of 6.5 I finally just posted a note here on DV Info and bought a legit copy from someone.

JR
Old July 17th, 2005, 12:11 PM   #14
New Boot

anyone else have any ideas on what i could do?
Old July 17th, 2005, 02:18 PM   #15
Trustee

are you trying to run premiere 6.5 on a winxp computer? did you look at the version number to see what it actually is?
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite