No HDV external device recognition for Cam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 5th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

No HDV external device recognition for Cam

Hi,

I am capturing HDV material from Sony V1P with Premier CS3 and able to view/edit on computer without issue.

With DV/DVCAM I am able to capture view/edit on computer and Adobe recognises the V1P as an external device and I'm able to view on camcorder as well.

With HDV Adobe doesn't recognise V1P as an external device and I'm not able to view on camcorder. Have followed correct set-up according to manuals (ie set vcr hdv/dv to HDV and i.Link conv to off).

Can't see Sony hvr-V1P in list of devices in capture settings so don't know if this is the issue.

Any solutions?

Cheers
Matthew Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

...and you have Premiere set up as an HDV project and capture is set to HDV Capture and HDV Device Control?
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Correct - as mentioned cann't see Sony HVR V1 in Device Control Settings box so have chosen Sony Standard as device type.
Old October 5th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Cairns View Post
Correct - as mentioned cann't see Sony HVR V1 in Device Control Settings box so have chosen Sony Standard as device type.
Yeah, that shouldn't matter. None of my cams or decks are on that list and I've never had any trouble.

More important are your capture settings, as shown on the page below. You've probably already done this, but you must confirm that you have set up an HDV project (not DV or DVCAM) and that your capture and device control settings are as I indicated above, and are as shown in the graphic linked to below. In your capture window, go to the Settings tab and confirm that Capture is set to HDV Capture and Device control is set to HDV Device control.

I know you said you'd already done that, but you seem to be focusing on the supported equipment list, which to my knowledge is irrelevant. But it's possible Sony Standard is DV and not HDV, which would explain the problem you are having.

Adobe Premiere Pro CS3

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Prem...ef7-7fb7.html#

Edit: If the link takes you to the wrong page (without capture window graphic) select "Set capture format and preferences" from the menu on the left or use the back arrow on the top right of the page to go back two pages. Second link works better.
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Adam,

Thanks for your attention to this issue, it is quite odd...

I'll take you through my setting up:

With my camcorder switched on and set to VCR and HDV material on tape connected by firewire I select new HDV project (HDV1080i25 preset). For this preset the custom settings tab shows:

Capture format: HDV
Playback settings: External Device Lists none/dv25i (720x576)/monitor 2 (my second computer monitor)
So here I don't have an option of selecting an external hdv device

The screen on the camcorder shows hdv1080i and HDVin iLINK - suggesting it is ready to accept a HDV signal.

If I select external device "none" at this stage & capture as HDV (with capture set as HDV in capture window) when I place captured HDV mpeg in timeline and play, no image shows on the cam screen although it shows HDVin iLINK.Image is displayed on desktop. In project settings/general/playback settings I have only options of none or monitor 2 for external device.

If I select external device dv25i (720x576) at new project preset stage and capture in HDV, when I play back in timeline still no image on cam screen which still shows HDVin iLINK.

Captured HDV shows as 1440x1080 in file info so it's definetaly capturing in HDV.

Interestingly in the playback settings, if I deselect "desktop video display during playback" the desktop video display keeps displaying.

Premier seems to accept the HDV signal from cam but not send it back to cam. It recognises the device as an hdv sender but not as a receiver - the camcorder is set-up correctly (given the HDVin iLINK on display screen).

Mysterious
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #6
Inner Circle

After reading this I think I definitely misunderstood your question. I thought you were unable to capture, but it appears that capturing is going fine and your only issue is monitoring on your cam's screen during playback from within Premiere.

As I've never tried this -- I have a second monitor set up for Premiere and a third one attached to my capture deck for pure viewing -- I'm completely useless.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

My only thought is that I'm seeing a lot of the number 576 in your settings, which I don't think would work with HDV. But again this is just a guess.
Old October 6th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Adam,

Any chance you could experiment with a camera attached by firewire and see if you have a choice of HDV external device in custom settings tab at HDV preset?

Again, strangely, I can actually export to tape (back to the camcorder) in HDV - this is the only instance of Premier being able to send an HDV signal back. Can export but not monitor.
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Can you post a screen grab of exactly what you're seeing? I'll be in my edit bay later in the week and will see what I can find.
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I am guessing you want to see the New Project/Custom Settings/Playback Settings choices I have when I am starting a new project with cam attached (note no HDV only DV or Monitor):
Attached Thumbnails
No HDV external device recognition for Cam-screenshot.jpg  
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I have experimented a little and found a way to monitor an HDV project on cam in DV:

I set up HDV project as normal & capture HDV material.

Then, on camcorder I change the output from HDV to DV, and the iLink convert to ON.
The cam now shows on display DV and DV IN (just a standard DV signal).

In Premier I change the project settings/Capture settings to DV and presto, I can view the HDV content as DV on camcorder! If I need to capture more HDV I just change settings back.

Let me know if you have any luck in seeing an HDV setting for the external device though.
Old October 7th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Ah, got it.

No, I have only DV showing. Not even the second monitor (which is managed by the display card, I think).
Old October 8th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Bizarre isn't it - so I assume you were not able to monitor HDV on camcorder also?
Old October 8th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #13
Inner Circle

No, I'm not sure I've ever wanted or needed to; it's never occurred to me to try. I'm not sure what I can learn off a 3" screen. But when I used to dub back to my HC3, I know I did get a picture on the cam's LCD. Don't recall having to set anything in Premiere.

I mean, if it's going out via FW from Premiere and dubbing properly to tape, I can't think of why it wouldn't show up on the cam's screen. I can only guess it's a setting inside the V1. But I can't find anything in the V1 manual that would explain this.

Wait: are you just talking about using the cam as a monitor all the time, not just when dubbing back to the cam from Premiere? All is now clear: I've managed to misunderstand you twice in one thread. I really gotta get some sleep. You want to use the cam as a viewing device or monitor only while editing. Got it.

Last edited by Adam Gold; October 8th, 2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old October 11th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Adam,

Due to my budget I don't have bucks to invest in more gear. I have been monitoring in the past (with standard dv) on computer monitor and standard def crt TV via camcorder. Now I have V1 and editing in HDV I wish to be able to monitor on external device (standard def TV).

I'm fully aware I cant monitor HDV on standard def TV - but I have grown accustomed to my trusty TV image as a rough guide. In future I will upgrade to something better (using HDMI out of camera) - but rather than having to upgrade video card & invest in a full hd monitor I am willing to settle for my solution. Unfortunately it means that I need the cam to accept and send hdv signal to either tv or other monitor via rca/HDMI. This should be possible & yes I have the V1 manual and have set it up correctly.

A simple set up - camera sends hdv to Premier for hdv capture. Premier sends back hdv signal to camera for monitor & dub to tape. Camera can send it's incoming hdv signal as down converted standard def signal to a tv or send hdv signal via HDMI out to a hdv monitor.

But it aint happening......if only someone else could try & see if its possible........

Hope you do get some rest...
Old October 12th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Wow, fourteen posts and I now just understand what you're trying to do. This is a new record for me in missing the point.

So if I'm finally understanding you, the question is, if you can send HDV back and forth with no problem over the FW when capturing and dubbing back to tape, why can't you send to cam for monitoring while editing?

If that's the question, my best guess is it's for the same reason you can't preview HDV while capturing -- it's too taxing on the system so Premiere disables that.

Unless I've misunderstood again.

Edit: Hm, interesting. The geniuses at Adobe have disabled the online help -- or at least all the subtopics --- for CS3, but looking up your situation in the CS4 help reveals the following opening line:

Note: You may not be able to preview on a TV monitor via camcorders or decks in HDV mode. Set these, instead, to DV or Auto mode.

Not much help, I know, but here's the page:

Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 * Preview on a television monitor via camcorder or deck
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite