Question about Compression for On Line Viewing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 24th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #1
Major Player

Question about Compression for On Line Viewing

I have been exporting Premiere Pro 2.0 HD material using a WMV9 codec and 5000 kbps bit rate to get about a 2GB file, which looks and sounds fine.
To show on Vimeo or Exposure Room, it's a good idea to get at least into the 200-400MB range for file size, and DivX seems to work (although it is necessary to go to 1200 kbps). The result pretty much loses its HD properties, and the audio is not good.
Is there a newer codec out there that will give a 3:1 or 5:1 compression, as does DivX,
but preserve some HD quality?
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #2
Trustee

I haven't done anything with Vimeo for about half a year, but they used to have some guidelines on formats and settings. As I recall, they recommended h.264 at 5kbps. There were some other details that I no longer remember. I'd check the support section on Vimeo to see what they say there. You can also search here as this topic has been covered quite extensively.

I can't speak to settings for Exposure Room as I have not used that.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Tripp,
Yes, those are good parameters for Vimeo, but that will not compress a large file to a smaller one.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite