Issue after exporting. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 28th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Issue after exporting.

So I know this issue is stupid and I am sure it will be something easy.

I shot a promo for a Haunted House for a free donation for their website and I shot it in 24F on my XH-A1. After capturing it all (After some issues) and editing it all together, I ran into an issue. They used strobes in the house and the camera and Premiere both show them perfect. HOWEVER.... Once I exported it (Many different frame rates) it keeps getting these odd lines going across the frame horizontally. I am sure it is something stupid but does anyone have any ideas? I was looking to get it back to him this Friday so it is only a week turnaround.

Thanks!
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Trustee

We need more information on your output settings. If you pick several different ones it will help us narrow the issue down. It could be a variety of things.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, it was shot in 24F on my Canon XH-A1

Project settings are:

HDV 1080 p
Timebase, 23.976

Tried exporting as:
H.264
720p 24fps progressive de-interlaced
720p FPS same as source
720p 29.97 fps

None of which worked right.
Old October 29th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Anyone have any ideas? I wanted to get this delivered tomorrow...
Old October 29th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Trustee

I was looking for specific output parameters, but since you're pressed for time I will pass on what I can glean.
- Don't deinterlace progressive footage. It's always bad.
- h.264 does some frame blending as part of its temporal encoding.

I think that h.264 could be the source of your problem. Try outputing using the "same as project" settings to Quicktime using the Animation or JPEG codecs and see if the problem still exists. Don't export the whole thing. Just a section that causes problems in your other renders. Both of those codecs do not encode temporally across frames. DV will work too for the same reason.

If the problem disappears in those renders then I'd suspect your output codec, h.264. Strobe flashes will all fall into a single frame. When it tries to blend that frame with another it could cause problems.

If the problem still exists, then I'm lost.

HTH
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Ok, Here is the issue, just as an example.

It is towards the end with the evil clown at electric chair... I still have some audio syncing to do, but it is just about at its final copy.

Give me a step by step of the settings you want me to try, I tried exporting as Mpeg-2, Windows media, Quicktime, and tried different codecs (Though I don't have many that I recognize.)

Thanks for your help Tripp!
Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

No ideas Tripp?

Anyone else? Would love to finish color correcting and audio syncing and send it out..
Old November 4th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #8
Regular Crew

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the video. I see what you are talking about, but it appears its just a result of playing back on a computer monitor (which sometimes doesn't accurately display rapidly flashing white and black).

What is the delivery format? If it's dvd, have you tried burning it and playing it on a tv?
Jon Geddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

It was going to be put on a Flashdrive in 3 or 3 formats.

I keep thinking it my monitor eveytime I see it, but in Premiere when I play it back after rendering the work area I do not have this issue. Its not until I export it. That's when I see these lines appear.
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #10
Trustee

Scott... I think I might see what you are talking about but I don't think it is manifesting on my end the way it is on yours.

What I see doesn't really look like a problem. The quick flashes look like, well, quick flashes which I think is what you wanted. Without being able to look over your shoulder at your monitor it's very difficult to suss out the problem. I'm wondering, as others have said, that it's a monitor issue (not that there's any problem with your monitor) in how it displays those flashes.

Since it appears that you want to output for playback on computers or computer-type devices, conventional wisdom says that you want to output 720p to h.264 or high data rate Flash. You might have to resign yourself to the fact that transcoding to a highly compressed format will always have some deleterious effects. It's just the nature of the beast.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite