Windows 7 Pro 64 & Premier Pro CS4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 30th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Windows 7 Pro 64 & Premier Pro CS4

anyone running this combination yet, I am now running vista business 64 bit and CS4, and have the upgrade here but have not installed it yet, I am almost finished editing a wedding, figured I would finish that first.

I do have everything backed up, my HD cloned etc so hoping it will be a smooth upgrade.

Thanks for any advice.
Old October 31st, 2009, 09:28 AM   #2
Major Player

I've had two issues with this combo, and neither may apply to you.

First.. the Cineform/CS4 non-integration is now about ready to celebrate its first birthday.

Second... Windows 7 seems to have a problem with some motherboards with their on board eSATA connection. The simple and cheap solution was the addition of a PCI eSATA controller card.

All in all, I think you'll be pleased with your upgrade.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 02:58 PM   #3
Trustee

Use the following steps:

1. Finish your project first
2. Deactivate Adobe programs
3. Make a clean install of Win7
4. Install Adobe and reactivate

Be aware that currently BRD burning is not possible under Win7. Microsoft is working on that, but for the time being you need a patch from Adobe.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Major Player

Microsoft assures me that the upgrade from Vista business 64 bit to Win 7 Pro 64 is an easy upgrade, no reason for a fresh install, have you heard different?
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:25 PM   #5
Trustee

When you upgrade all your installed programs are moved to a new directory called Windows.old

Adobe programs do not start from this directory. You need to activate again. That is why I suggested to deactivate first. At least this happened to me, so I went for a clean install. It cost me an activation, but I'll contact Adobe to rectify that when I need to.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 04:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
Microsoft assures me that the upgrade from Vista business 64 bit to Win 7 Pro 64 is an easy upgrade, no reason for a fresh install, have you heard different?
I just recently upgraded from Windows Vista 64-bit to Windows 7 64-bit. To be on the safe side I did deactive my Adobe and iTunes applications. After the upgrade, I reactivated both. In all it took a couple of hours but everything came back up fine.
Roger Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:26 PM   #7
Trustee

Roger and anyone else: what other major programs and what video hardware are you running on 7 x64?

I am running Vista x64 and have 7 x64 Ultimate waiting to be installed. I am having issues w/ my 1 month old Vista install and hope it was due to crappy Matrox drivers from the Mini or from running 2 different Raid cards (3ware 9650 & new Areca 1680ix); so, I plan on installing 7 within the next few days but need feedback before I do.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:28 PM   #8
Major Player

Matrox software is like a Virus that will kill any system it seems I am doing a complete reinstall right now for the same reasons
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:24 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
Roger and anyone else: what other major programs and what video hardware are you running on 7 x64?
I'm running the full Adobe Master Creative Suite, Maya, Cineform Prospect HD, Apple iTunes, Apple QuickTime, Microsoft Office, and Microsoft Visual Studio.

The video card is nVidia Quatro FX3500.
Roger Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:36 PM   #10
Trustee

After reading about all the problems on Matrox's forums, it seems that Matrox only cares about Macs and that PCs get poorly designed drivers or no drivers for a long time. The Mini with Max drivers for the PC was just released- almost a yr after the hardware was released.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:54 PM   #11
Major Player

I just upgraded from Vista 64 to Win 7 and am having problems with internet on downloads and video streaming. Crashes the adapter every time, have to disable/enable and start back. I just spent 2 hours with Microsoft on the phone, they will call back in 2 days after researching.........

I did not deactivate CS4 (didn't know I needed to when loading).
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:54 PM   #12
Trustee

I just upgraded from vista ultimate 32 to win 7 ultimate 32, as a 1:1 direct upgrade. Everything works so far, although the system says Adobe Encore CS4 is incompatable (loads and works ok so far, don't know what the problem might be)

Anyway, according to the instructions, you only have to deactivate and reinstall if you are doing a custom install -- like from 32 bit to 64 bit --- or doing a clean install, which would altogether probably be the best way, but reinstalling a TON of apps with all their tweaks and updates getting lost in the process, plus trying to find all the license keys --- fugeddaboudit! All my apps and settings are there, when I get a new box I will move up to 64bit and go through the agony of reinstalling..... / Battle Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite