DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Please suggest a HD monitor for playback from CS4 timeline (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/471916-please-suggest-hd-monitor-playback-cs4-timeline.html)

Art White January 29th, 2010 12:31 PM

Please suggest a HD monitor for playback from CS4 timeline

I just upgraded to HD cameras. I use Adobe premiere CS4 with a small Canon camera as an external device. I playback the time line onto an old TV monitor. I don't have an HD TV but I'm looking for an HD monitor if anyone has any model suggestions.

Also, I would be interested in what others are using in form of a card to install in my computer to go to an external monitor.

Thanks for the replies!
Art

Ben Moore February 1st, 2010 12:33 AM

As long as your video card has 2 ouputs you can send the program monitor out the second output. I use a DVI to HDMI cable going to a panasonic 32 inch 1080p LCD. Works perfect for me.

Ben

Brian Barkley February 1st, 2010 09:18 AM

I went for the best, so I purchased the JVC DTV24L1D. It has SDI input, and is top of the line in the professional field. Retail is $4,000, but I found a refurbished one for $2,500.

If this is out of your price range, then the Sony KBR-32XBR9 is excellent if you can put up with a monitor that large.

Art White February 2nd, 2010 03:30 PM

Thank you.
In that case I think for me, it doesn't matter too much what type of card as long as I can monitor out. I use P2 cards for media transfer. I don't do much capturing other than that. I just can't see what the output looks like with no HD monitor.

Those are both good monitor suggestions.
Thanks
Art

Tim Kolb February 5th, 2010 08:35 AM

Depending on what display card you are using, if you have a DVI/HDMI output, there are now some LED backlit consumer LCD panels that are frighteningly good. They probably aren't as calibratable as many of us would like....

I've seen a few Samsungs recently that simply blew me away...huge panel sizes for under 3,000.00. I could use Dreamcolor for my source of truth and the client gets to watch the big screen and smiles...

I still like my Sony broadcast CRT...I have this emotional attachment to CRTs, but that attachment is simply getting less and less rational as time goes on...

I would also pile on on the JVC panels, they seem to be quite good for the price.

David Dwyer May 9th, 2010 04:13 PM

How do you setup Premiere? I'd like my Program monitor on my main Dell 24" TFT and full screen on a second 21" TFT/TV is this possible? I can only get on one or the other?

Tim Kolb May 9th, 2010 04:18 PM

In Playback options...in the menu where you would choose "draft" or "high' quality, or switch to a waveform, etc...

In playback options, you'll see an "external device" widget...you should see any display on your system that isn't your primary display available for full screen playback use.

David Dwyer May 9th, 2010 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tim thanks,

I think that is enabled but how do I get my "program window" over there? I can see I can undock it but I would like them on both screens?

Added pic

David Dwyer May 9th, 2010 04:40 PM

Ah its not working in the CineForm preset. In the standard PP ones it displays!

Cheers

Nevermind its working in CF presets now - Exited PP and opened again and it started working. Great!

Time for a bigger TFT for external monitor now

David Dwyer May 9th, 2010 04:57 PM

Tim,

What do you think of the following?

LCD TV - Television | SAMSUNG

I can't afford anything massive but anything under £400/$600 would be great.

Tim Kolb May 9th, 2010 09:24 PM

It all depends on what you want to do.

The biggest deal with monitors is how dependent you are on their color representation. The resolution can also be an issue at resolutions below full 1080 also, if your 1080 source ends up being scaled...

I would say that you may want to avoid any of the "enhanced" modes they refer to as they may make the image color or sharpness more intense, but they probably have very little to do with accuracy.