After Effects CS4 recommendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 6th, 2010, 04:03 AM   #1
New Boot

After Effects CS4 recommendations

I'd like to get some book/dvd recommendations to learn how to use AE CS4. I'm interested in special effects. Things like this: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...JCGKE&rclk=pth

Thanks
Adrian Svircic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:08 AM   #2
New Boot

oops just saw I posted in wrong forum. Can this be moved to the effects section?
Old February 6th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Major Player

No one is better at training than Paul Holtz. He is simply the best. His company is called Class On Demand.
Class On Demand - Video-Based Training for Digital Media

I have his DVD "Baisc Training For After Effects 7"
I also purchased his DVDs on CS4 Production Premium, Illustrator, and Photoshop ... all great training stuff.
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #4
Trustee

"Creating Motion Graphics with After Effects" Trish and Chris Meyer, Focal Press, ISBN 978-0-240-81010-2. Only book I've seen that actually explains HOW it works as well as what to do, and has a lot of insight on the quirks and tricks of AE which the "recipe books" don't have..../Battle Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

For online tutorials, you can't go past VideoCoPilot

VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials & Post Production Tools
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:22 AM   #6
Trustee

After you learn the basics, FXPHD.com is the ultimate training resource for vfx.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #7
New Boot

thanks guys I appreciate it. As for the classondemand site is there a more advanced class other than the basic training? fxphd seems to have the more advanced and specialized classes. The video copilot site looks great as well (being free doesnt hurt either)
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #8
Trustee

Videocopilot has a tutorial showing a person blowing his head off like that youtube video. Its called "Assisted Suicide".

There is also Lynda.com, which is good for learning the basics, and most AE tutorials are taught by Chris Meyer. I used Lynda.com to learn the basics and have since moved to fxphd for more advanced compositing. (in addition to learning Cinema 4D)
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 06:40 AM   #9
Major Player

You should check out lynda.com for video training. Chris and Trish Meyer are authors there and the site has many authors teaching AE from beginning to advanced. It's only $25 a month and definitely the best place to learn starting out or keep as a quick reference down the road.

The head explode is a tutorial from Andrew Kramer (with his Action Essentials pack) on videocopilot.net.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite