Organize/Export only SPECIFIC clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 03:57 PM   #1
New Boot

Organize/Export only SPECIFIC clips

first off.....Thanks for reading, I appreciate your help

I went on a long trip, i captured about 100 hours of footage... i have edited that down to about 1 hour, but it references hundreds of clips, from 100 tapes.... basically, i have 99 HOURS of tape that is useless.

Is there any way to render out every clip required (full res) to a new folder, with all of the files premiere needs? i have the rough edit done in premiere, but i need the finess of a proven editor to take over, but i dont want to have to provide all 100 hours of HDV footage.

basically, i have such a HUGE project, that its very dificult to work with multiple editors. i need a way of rendering a smaller amount of data. heck it takes 5 minutes for the project to load on my fast quadcore.

Can any one help me understand a strategy for this?

my initial thought was to create a new segment, put all of the clips ive made in my timeline into one timeline with out any effects... render it... then use that full quality render, and redo (puke) all of my edits, but this time, ill only have 1 hours of footage.
Total project size less than 20 gigs.... current total project size is more than 250 gigs....

i really appreciate your help with this, every modification i make to this process greatly reduces the workload.
Conrad Devereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Project Manager is your friend. It does exactly this. But only when you're finished.

Project > Project Manager deletes unused clips, organizes and exports. Project > Delete Unused does only that.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Conrad. As Adam suggests if your tapes are broken up into scenes then that is the way to go if, however, if you are in the situation I am where the whole tape is one very long take it's another issue. As far as I understand (and I would love someone to tell me I'm wrong) because it is 'non-destructive' editing all your edited clips refer back to the unedited clip so they don't exist as separate files and you can't delete the original parent clip. I presume that you are happy with the rough cut and that you are not wanting any shot/take input from the editor you are passing it onto? The cleanest way to do it if you want to hand over your edit in it's current form might be to:
Save a copy of the project as a working copy then
In your timeline select each clip in order, turn off all other timelines and turn off any effects you have on the clip (deleting any transitions)
Set your work area as the clip only
Render the work area/clip (you could just number them for ease) and save them all to one folder.
Once you have rendered them all out (doesn't that sound like fun) go back into your original project and import the new folder.
Here's the reason I suggested doing it this way:
Take each new clip and as you drag press ALT and drop it onto the old version - it will replace the old clip but retain the old clip's effects, etc.
It's a lot of donkey work and may not appeal to you, but it's a thought???
Gregory Gesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:15 PM   #4
Inner Circle

If you have one long clip and place almost the whole thing on the timeline (as I do for our multicam shoots) then virtually nothing will get deleted, so you're right, PM is of limited usefulness in that situation.

But my understanding is that when you use lots of little tiny parts of a large single main clip (or sub-clips that you created) then project manager does in fact just keep the parts of the long clip that you use, adding handles if you tell it to. "Keep " is the wrong word, though; it "duplicates" the parts you need and leaves the original alone. But you could be right and I could be mistaken about this.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works but I too, as you said, would like someone else to weigh in on the specifics. Best way to test it is to just try it, I guess. I do not believe it deletes your original project or its files -- you have to do that manually so you should be safe giving it a try.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite