MacBook Pro i7's w/CS5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 19th, 2010, 01:37 AM   #1
Major Player

MacBook Pro i7's w/CS5

Hello -

Does anybody know if the new MBP's, that were just released, will be able to utilize the Mercury Playback Engine with the MBP's nVidia GeForce GT 330m video/graphics card?

I looked on the Adobe website and found the list for the supported cards...but no mention of whether or not these, or even other laptop graphic cards, will work.
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #2
Trustee

M video cards are not certified. EOS.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Major Player

I didn't ask whether or not they were "certified"; rather I am inquiring whether or not they will "work".

There are a lot of manufacturer's that list "certified" hardware; but that only means that it was tested, passed and basically guaranteed to work with their products. Doesn't mean other hardware "won't" work; just that they didn't test/qualify them.

The "M" series nVidia laptop video/graphic cards are stated to have CUDA technology. And after reading the Adobe needs for the MPE, from what I understood is that it is using this technology....which a lot of the nVidia cards utilize; hence my inquiry about these cards.
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #4
Trustee

Not certified means: IT WILL NOT WORK with the hardware engine.

All cards that meet minimum requirements should works with the software engine.
Old August 6th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Clark View Post
Hello -

Does anybody know if the new MBP's, that were just released, will be able to utilize the Mercury Playback Engine with the MBP's nVidia GeForce GT 330m video/graphics card?

I looked on the Adobe website and found the list for the supported cards...but no mention of whether or not these, or even other laptop graphic cards, will work.
please check this link
Nvidia 300 series GPU Cuda + Mercury playback engine Hack Punkbuddhaz's Blog
Amr Toukhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #6
Trustee

Andrew, the reason none of the Apple laptops will work is the max amount of ram is only 512MB and MPE hardware acceleration requires a graphics card with at least 896MB. The next step below 896MB in graphics cards is 768MB but that won't work because 15-30MB is used by the OS.

Furthermore, there are a few basic requirements for MPE hardware acceleration - one of which is CUDA 3.0 drivers. Another member here mentioned that his HP laptop with a GT3xx series w/ 1GB ram did not work until HP released a new driver that included CUDA 3.0.

EDIT: Didn't realize this was an old thread. Sorry about that Harm.

Last edited by Steve Kalle; August 7th, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 02:56 AM   #7
Trustee

Steve,

Did you look at the date this was posted, April. Nobody knew about the hack at that moment and it was assumed that Adobe would limit MPE to certified cards only.
Old August 8th, 2010, 05:03 AM   #8
Regular Crew

my notebook has a 1gb nvidia 280m and it works with the hack. unfortunately for you, your macbook pro does not have the required number of shaders/cuda cores nor the minimum amount of ram.
the good news is mpe works quite well on software mode and your dual core 620m will perform ok if you reduce the resolution of preview/playback.

cheers
Robert Baynosa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite