How to make Premiere CS5 work with GTX 295 and possibly all 200 GPUs - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 16th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #211
Major Player

Nvidia GTX 470

Hi,

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I need to get back to editing so I don't have time to read anymore of this thread.
Has anyone compared the Gtx 470 graphics card to the Gtx 285 and the Quatro fx 3800. It looks good in the specs. I read a review that the DDR5 memory makes a big difference over DDR3 memory. The 470 has DDR5 memory and 448 CUDA cores. This seems like this might be the card for me. I wondered if it has the limitation that the GTX 285 has with only able to use CUDA on 3 video tracks?

Thanks,

John Gerard
John Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:05 AM   #212
Trustee

That limitation has long been lifted. It is no problem with 9 tracks, that I tested on a rather old and mediocre system.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #213
Regular Crew

John, I have tested both the 470 and the 285, right now you get the same performance in Premiere CS5.
David Knarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #214
Regular Crew

Also, I wrote a small program to do the unlock or hack automatically. The program takes less than a 1/4 second to run. You can find the program in my article Adobe Premiere CS5 Video Cards with CUDA Acceleration Mercury Playback Unlock Enable Hack Mod Tip

Please make sure you read and follow the instructions under the Automatic Methhod and make sure your video card is listed.

If your have already unlocked your card and you don't see your card listed in the list of cards that the program will unlock, please email me at studio1mail@aol.com and let me know the entry you used in the cuda_supported_cards.txt file.

I will be happy to add it to the program. The program by the way, it a batch file so feel free to look at it.
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #215
Major Player

Premiere pro cs5 graphics cards GTX285, vs gtx 470 vs fx3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
That limitation has long been lifted. It is no problem with 9 tracks, that I tested on a rather old and mediocre system.
Was that implemented in the latest Cs5 software update?

John Gerard
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #216
Major Player

Premiere pro CS5 graphics cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knarr View Post
John, I have tested both the 470 and the 285, right now you get the same performance in Premiere CS5.
I believe I read your review on line searching Google for every bit of information I can get my hands on. Very detailed and informative. But the article did state that DDR5 memory was about 40% faster than DDR3 memory in some of the tests. Am I correct in this?

John Gerard
Old November 17th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #217
Regular Crew

yes you are correct, the DDR5 was around 40% faster than the DDR3 memory.

However, with the 285, it was testing as fast as the 470 with DDR5 memory.
Old November 17th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #218
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knarr View Post
yes you are correct, the DDR5 was around 40% faster than the DDR3 memory.

However, with the 285, it was testing as fast as the 470 with DDR5 memory.
That is roughly as expected since the GTX 285 has a 512-bit memory bus to its DDR3 memory (versus a 320-bit DDR5 memory bus on the GTX 470).
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #219
Major Player

Which graphics card for premiere pro CS5

Hi,
After reading a lot of information about this subject. I decided to go with the GTX 470. I talked to the Nvidia quatro tech person over at Nvidia and for my situation he recommended first the quatro fx 4000 over the 3800 if I had the money to burn. He also uses premiere pro CS5. Then he said for a lesser priced card go with the Gtx 480. He new all about editing the INI file to get the card to be recognized. For me I told him I wanted to go with a certified card just to make sure everything is going to work. Then he said the 470 would still work well and I could render most thinks with lots of speed since I told him I am also going to upgrade memory to16GB. The GTX 470 I can get for about $277USD. I would rather spend the extra money on RAM. Right now I have a current project about 1.5 hours in length. I added just to filters. One to increase the brightness and the other to decrease the Saturation. And to remove frame blend for each clip. To render the timeline the computer basically growned to a halt. 100% CPU usage and took about 7-8 hours. I have a dual core xeon 3GHZ CPU 4GB RAM. I got to do better than that. I shouldn't have to render my files any more during editing? I started rendering my time line for the following reason...
I was getting an error where sometimes I would get no audio in some of the clips. This happens sometimes during editing and some time doing export. So I would export a file and find out that part of the AVI file did not have sound. I rendered the timeline and that seemed to fix the problem now I render the timeline before every export. Then just recently I learned that all I have to do is re interpret the problem files. But now I am not sure if I still need to render the timeline before export or not? Not to mention that with these two filters added Premiere is really slow. I usually add filters at the end of my editing just for this reason. For some reason I did not do this this time.
Now I am trying to see which manufacture of card will work the best. Most reliable in CS5. Any suggestions?
The Nvidia guy recommended PNY that he uses. I still have to check that the card will fit in my DELL case.

Thanks,

John Gerard
Old November 19th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #220
Major Player

CS3 vs CS5

Hi again,

I have a problem where I am exporting a 1.5-2 hour project using VirualDub/ frame server. PP CS3. I usually get 9-17fps that's about 2-4 hours to export to AVI. This is the usual time a project takes on my computer. This current export is running at 3-4fps taking an incredible 12 hours to export. The project does include 2 filters. Brightness/contrast adjustment and a filter just to turn down the color saturation. I think it is the HSL color correction filter. I just checked my computer as it is exporting in virtualDub and I was expecting to see 100% CPU usage but I only see a 50% CPU usage.. I get 100% CPU usage while rendering the timeline. I know that CUDA would pretty much eliminate this step. I just want to try to understand why it is running so slow and how I can speed this process up. I have two Seagate 500GB drives in a RAID 0. I am going to try to use WD Carver Black 640GB HDDs to see if that speeds anything up. I am considering getting a completely new system. So understanding these different issues and what part of the workflow uses what components will really allow me to tweak my new system and make a better purchase. Are there any articles that talk about this topic? I have not checked my HDD space to see if it is just that my HDD is to full. A did clear the media cache recently. My current system as this setup. One system/program drive, one separate media cache/ files drive running off of e-SATA, and 2 500 7200rpm in RAID 0.

John Gerard

Thanks,

John Gerard
Old November 19th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #221
Inner Circle

I did this mod when it was first being talked about, and discovered that at some point, presumably when CS5 must have done an update, the list of video cards got reset - and my added card removed! I've put it back again and all is well... but for how long?

If you've done the mod, it's well worth checking if yours is still actually functioning.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:07 PM   #222
Major Player

Which graphics card for cs5

Hi,
I was told to get 12GB of RAM to run cs5. I wondered if 12 is a minimum requirement. I was thinking of getting 16 GB RAM then I realized that would give me 20GB total. My computer has 8 memory slots and I have already 4 1GB chips. I was told that 4 I GIG would be faster than 2 2GB. I just thought I would ask here. I think I will start by getting 2 4GB chips to start and that will give me a total of 12GB ram. I guess I could upgrade later to another 2 4GB of RAM later if I find that my system is still to slow.

Thanks,

John Gerard
Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:24 AM   #223
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gerard View Post
Hi,
I was told to get 12GB of RAM to run cs5. I wondered if 12 is a minimum requirement. I was thinking of getting 16 GB RAM then I realized that would give me 20GB total. My computer has 8 memory slots and I have already 4 1GB chips. I was told that 4 I GIG would be faster than 2 2GB. I just thought I would ask here. I think I will start by getting 2 4GB chips to start and that will give me a total of 12GB ram. I guess I could upgrade later to another 2 4GB of RAM later if I find that my system is still to slow.

Thanks,

John Gerard
You've heard wrong, as far as four 1GB sticks. It also depends on the age of your system. And older 1GB sticks were also double-ranked - and this might cause slower performance on those systems equipped with memory controllers that work best with only two ranks of memory per channel.

And the only reason why memory modules with less-"dense" ICs are "faster" because fast higher-density IC chips are still relatively pricey even on a per-Gb (Gigabit) basis.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:26 PM   #224
Major Player

Best graphics card for CS5

Hi all,
I just installed another 16GB 4 x 4GB chips to my already installed 4 x1GB chips. Windows reports 20GB AND 16GB useable. Does that sound about right? Maybe the 4GB is taken up by the graphics card interfacing with the on board RAM?

Thanks,

John Gerard
Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:54 PM   #225
Regular Crew

That doesn't sound right at all - the memory you install has nothing to do with your graphics card - it sounds like an incomparability issue between the ram sticks or the motherboard. At a guess Id say you simply cannot run with that configuration of ram as generally all sticks have to be the same type and size.
Paul Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite