pro-graphic card. improvement? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 29th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

pro-graphic card. improvement?

Hi everyone,

just a technical question. I do lots of corporate work, wedding, music video etc...I mostly work with DSLR, XHA1 and EX1. I have a 1 and 1/2 year old computer that it's fast but it could be much better.

Quad 9550 2.83ghz
ASRock 4core1600p35
8gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4550

Non of the specs are pro though. I just spent quite a lot of money on a laptop so i can work when I'm away.
I'm not looking to upgrade the entire desktop for another year probably, but i was wondering what could i add to this computer to make it faster? maybe a pro-graphic card? would something like a Quadro FX 580 improve the performance/rendering/editing experience?
I mostly work with the CS4 production premium + magic bullet looks + red giant plugins

thanks in advance!

Guille
Guillermo Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Trustee

The graphics card you use is as fast or even faster than the FX 580. If anything, improve your disk setup,
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Major Player

I second Harm's recommendation. That FX 580, as I have mentioned several times in different threads, is no better than a very ordinary GeForce 9500 GT; in fact, they are both the exact same GPU (only 32 stream processors) and differ only in their driver optimizations. Even a cheap GeForce GT 220 kills the Quadro FX 580 in overall performance. The only Quadros that are at least half-decent cost $500 (for an FX 1800) or more.

By the way, the FX 580 is actually a little bit faster than your current HD 4550, especially in OpenGL. (All 4550s have only a 64-bit memory bus versus the 128-bit memory bus on the G96 GPU that's shared by the Quadro FX 580 and the GeForce 9500 GT.) But it's nowhere near fast enough to justify spending the extra $150 or so that card costs to upgrade from your current HD 4550.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite