Can Premiere & AME CS5 Do This? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 6th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #1
Trustee

Can Premiere & AME CS5 Do This?

Here is what I want:

I need to output 40+ projects to multiple formats but as far as I know, Premiere & AME will render and encode the sequence for each format, which takes considerably longer than rendering the sequence to a high quality format and then dragging that 'master' into AME to encode to several formats.

I am wondering if I can tell Premiere or AME to automatically render a master video and use that master to export to several formats.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 02:10 AM   #2
Trustee

Steve,

Help me if I misunderstood your question, but I have perceived it like this:

You have a project that you want in 'master quality', let's say in format A.

Your next steps are to use A as the source and export to different formats, like B, C, D, etc.

If this is indeed your issue, the first thing is to create format A, which may be for instance Lagarith or uncompressed. Once you have created this file with AME, import it into your project and drop it on the New Item icon, so a new sequence it created. Save the project and close PR.

Now in AME use File / Add Premiere Pro Sequence and select the sequence you created in your project with format A. Make a batch that uses this format as source and encode it to format B, C, D, etc.

Much like the PPBM CS5 batch instructions.

Is this the solution you were looking for?
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Trustee

Harm,

What you said is almost what I want.

I really want to be able to tell Premiere/AME to render to 'A' and automatically use 'A' to encode to B, C, D...
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #4
Trustee

I don't think you can do that 'automatically'. There is manual labor involved in this, like I outlined.
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Trustee

You mentioned that the 5.02 update adds caching, which doesn't help your PPBM5 testing. Have you determined how Premiere/AME uses this cache? I wonder & hope if Premiere caches the render.
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #6
Trustee

There is already in 5.00 and in 5.01 some render caching, that shows up if you duplicate clips that require rendering (red line). Only the first instance requires rendering, all the other instances show the yellow line that turns to green when the first instance is rendered. The rendering engine just knows that the first instance has been rendered, so no further effort is required. The engineer in question admitted it was relatively simple to implement, but what a welcome time saver it is.

The caching I mentioned was in the MPEG2-DVD department, but that was also the case with CS4. However it was not obvious in 5.00 and 5.01, but shows up clearly in 5.02.

Bill and I will be discussing the complete setup of the test, to make is less error prone, due to the simplicity of the script and to make it more user friendly. I'll keep you informed.
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Adobe Systems

Look into the watch folder feature in AME.

You can set up a watch folder in Adobe Media Encoder (AME).

If you render and export a master movie from Premiere Pro, and set the destination to the watch folder, then AME will pick up the master movie from that watch folder and encode it into whatever format(s) you've specified.

I, for example, have a watch folder set up so that my losslessly encoded QuickTime movies (with PNG codec) come out of After Effects and then AME picks them up and makes web-ready F4V movies from them.
Old June 11th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #8
Trustee

Todd, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!

I just created a new folder and used AME to create 3 watch folders for that single folder. I can now export a master and AME automatically queues 3 formats to be encoded (and begins 3 mins later after AME has been idle).
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Harm

Im assuming 5.0.2 will show up soon in the updates list??
Old June 13th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #10
Trustee

I have no idea how long it will take. I know that internally Adobe is several builds ahead of the build we have, so they are continuously improving and ironing out bugs.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite