Win 7 upgrade at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 7th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Win 7 upgrade

I'll finally going to make the upgrade from XP Pro to Windows 7 so I can install CS5. (Been running an i7 system with 6Gs of RAM, but at 32 bit :(

I still have CS2 installed, should I uninstall every Adobe program? Or would it wipe it all out after a fresh install of Win 7? (The OS and CS5 will go to the same boot up drive).

Thanks,
Old June 7th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Trustee

I would definitely play it safe and do a fresh install of Win 7 and CS5. Yes, everything on your C: drive will be gone once you install Win 7.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Win 7 Upgrade

There is no direct upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 64. Your choice is to either wipe the partition and install a fresh copy of 7, or to install it preferably to a different drive in your system. I comfortably had a triple boot system running for over a year giving me a choice of XP, XP64 and Vista 64 at start-up. You can do this if you want to be able to go back and forth between OS versions. I kept XP (PP CS2) and Vista 64 (PP CS4) running for a while, until I built a new machine for CS5.
Old June 7th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #4
Trustee

It is not necessary to uninstall the Adobe programs, since your drive will be wiped clean by the Win7 install, but you might want to deactivate all of the CS2 software so that you would have the option of reinstalling it on another system at a later date.
I would also look carefully at any other useful programs (Squeeze, etc.) & see if thay have the "deactivation" option- otherwise you may not be able to reinstall them on your new Win7 64 system.
My procedure for the upgrade was to install Win7 on a new HD, saving the old HD in case of some sort of critical problem with the install.
At a minimum, I would make a disk image of your current system drive before the new OS install.
I must say that the install was flawless for me and I have never looked back. Win7 64 is the best OS I have ever used.
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Folks,

@Steve--Will definitely do a fresh install of Win 7 Pro 64bit.

@Paul--I hope I won't ever go back to XPPro 32bit (crossing fingers, knocking on wood, throwing salt over shoulder, etc.), so hopefully the fresh install of just one OS will do the job :) And I hope to never run CS2 ever again; but if I do, at least I'll have the discs still.

@Robert--Good to hear that Win 7 and CS5 is working out for you! I've read from other folks that it's mostly worked out well for them, too. The only other plug ins I use is TMPGEnc Express and the Magic Bullet Suite (which I'll need to upgrade to). I've uninstalled TMPGEnc and de-activated Magic Bullet. (And hopefully the installation process for those two will be painless--crossing fingers, knocking on wood...)

Best,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite