removing image stabilization "hunting" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 6th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #1
Major Player

removing image stabilization "hunting"

I'm a rookie. Made a rookie mistake. Forgot to turn off the camera's image stabilizer when I put the camera on a tripod. Much of the resulting footage suffers from what I call image stabilization "hunting" (I'm sure that's not the right jargon for this, but I don't yet know what the proper name for it is). Basically it's a rhythmic motion visible in the video.

After Effects seems to contain filters to get rid of motion artifacts. But these seem to be aimed at motion artifacts that come from jerky motion while hand holding. This is just the opposite -- jerky motion from the camera on a tripod.

Is it possible to get rid of the "hunting" artifacts? If so, how?

Oh, yes. Camera is a little Canon HF200. Canon lists its image stabilization system as: SuperRange Optical (lens shift). It's that tiny bit of lens shifting that's causing my problem.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Major Player

That's weird. Even with stabilization turned on, it should be only a few frames of hunting before it catches up.
What you seem to imply, is that the whole movement of the tripod is a victim of this "motion hunting".

If that's the case, then what you explain is a field order issue..

Otherwise, After Effects has a Motion Tracker feature that's very powerful...Many tutorials on the net to learn it properly.

Good luck!!!
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic View Post
That's weird. Even with stabilization turned on, it should be only a few frames of hunting before it catches up.
Seems to be due to the fact that the camera is completely still, not even panning or tilting. The image stabilization algorithm is hunting, looking for something to correct. But there is nothing to correct. So it just sorta pulses around the stable point, waiting and watching. Which is why it's generally advised to turn IS off when using a tripod. Which I knew, but sadly forgot to do. Sigh...
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #4
Major Player

Use AE "keyframing"

Whether its this hunting or a not quite rock steady tripod, the movement to correct should be slight and AfterEffects should be able to handle it. Check VideoCopilot.com. They have a great tutorial and plugin to enhance AE. Since the morvement is slight, you should not have to crop much. It will take some time though.
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey Bruce....

This sounds strange...IS on or off, if the camera isn't moving, then there shouldn't be any hunting...
I'd seriously get it checked out.
Even on a tripod, the IS feature turned on shouldn't be too much of an issue..Like i say, it's only the first few frames that might give you trouble on a pan...

Good luck!!!
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Major Player

Its even in most manuals for Canon as well as Sony: turn IS off when using a tripod.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite