Media encoder settings to play on Sony Bravia (via USB) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 13th, 2010, 04:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Media encoder settings to play on Sony Bravia (via USB)

I have a lovely shiny Sony Bravia KDL-40EX503 and want to make an HD export from Premiere CS5 to put on USB and play as a preview on my TV.

Problem is that manual (and Sony support) are useless and just say that AVCHD, MPG4 and Divx will work. There is no spec for stream type, bitrate, supported resolutions etc so I am totally in the dark as to what to use.

Does anyone know what what the best format to use is and maybe have any settings that have worked for them? I have tried some tests but so far the TV pretends they don't exist.

Thanks

Alex
Old July 13th, 2010, 04:29 AM   #2
Trustee

Export to an external disk, connect the disk to the Bravia and try it in various formats. That is the only way to know for sure.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Harm. I have been trying that all day and still with no luck.

Whats weird is the test DivX file that comes with the TV does work ok. See comparisons of files from Gspot attached (one on left works, one on right does not). I will be peeved if it is because My divX is too new...

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Media encoder settings to play on Sony Bravia (via USB)-worksontv.jpg   Media encoder settings to play on Sony Bravia (via USB)-doesnotworkontv.jpg  

Old July 13th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #4
Trustee

I have a Panasonic TV so don't have specific advice for you. However ..... at least for AVCHD, part of your issue may be in not having the correct folder structure. My guess is that if you export from CS5 to a valid BluRay AVCHD template, then your resulting mts file will be fine. However your player may be expecting to see a PRIVATE, AVCHD or BDMV folder, with the .mts file itself sitting within a STREAM subfolder.

The way I learned this was discovering that my Panasonic could play AVCHD straight off an SD card from my camera (i.e. with intact folder structure), but would not recognise the mts file when it was standalone.

So ... I strongly recommend you test-drive the freeware program multiAVCHD. It will injest a 'bare' AVCHD file and regenerate an appropriate folder structure for various different playback devices. It would be worth reading their help files and forum as there may be specific info on the Bravia.

Finally, I am sure someone somewhere on the web on some other forum has likely encountered and resolved this problem, so google around a bit.

Good luck!
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #5
Trustee

Hey your 'does not work' file is a weird resolution - 720x404??? That may not be the only problem, but it's almost certainly one of them. NTSC SD standard is 720x480.

Edit: also, the framerate of the working file is NTSC 29.97, and of the not-working file is PAL 25. The TV may handle both, but it's another something to consider. PAL SD resolution is 720x 576.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Graham,

Looking into multiAVCHD right now.

Not sure about the resolution. I just used the "Home Theatre" mode as advised by the chap at DivX (as I think it is the only one that makes a .divx file of the settings). Apart from that there are not really any settings to play with...

Alex
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Just saw your edit and thought I would supply the spec of the original MPG4 that it "converted". See screenshot below

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Media encoder settings to play on Sony Bravia (via USB)-mpg4details.jpg  
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #8
Trustee

OK you are starting with 1280x720 25fps footage. So I recommend you select the H264BluRay 1280x720 25fps template in CS5 and export to that, selecting .TS muxing. Then import that into multiAVCHD.

If that fails, try exporting to the MPEG 2 BluRay 1280x720 25fps, again selecting TS muxing, and see if the camera can recognise that file standalone.

As an aside, even if you did get those DiVX settings working, you are squishing your nice HD footage down to puny sub-SD resolution and it will look nasty on an HD TV!
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite