DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Editing-Storytelling techniques - Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/482536-editing-storytelling-techniques-questions.html)

Tore B. Krudtaa July 28th, 2010 02:33 AM

Editing-Storytelling techniques - Questions

Hi

I'm about to create a short documentary with a friend of mine.
It's about informing the public about a political agenda that is hidden for most people in norway, but eventually this issue will affect all people in our country. So the documentary is both for educating / give information to the masses as well as (hopefully) put pressure on the officials that makes the decisions.

What I'm looking for now is to find out how to tell this story. What kind of editing, storytelling technique I want to use.

Is there some place where I online can watch different editing techniques used, where these techniques are discussed and where the different techniques are organized in categories so it easy to browse and find something I can learn from?

Mitch Hunt July 28th, 2010 10:38 AM

When trying to persuade or inform on a sensitive subject, it is best to start with generally accepted or acceptable facts or examples then at the end draw up a conclusion based on what has been said (inductive reasoning). If the statement was bluntly stated at the beginning, people might put up their guard and stop watching or just choose not to believe. Start out softly then gradually build up to your ending statement. Try to have the audience follow along and make the same conclusions you do.

Tore B. Krudtaa July 28th, 2010 11:27 AM

Thanks for replying

The reason for me posting this was to see if someone could give me links to forums, threads, sites that are focused on the art of documentary storytelling techniques.

Where various techniques are discussed and kind of browsable ... by example...

I appreciate the tips you gave me... but I'm more after something to look at... to learn... a place where storytelling/editing techniques --- (for documentaries) are discussed and displayed....

The best (for me) would be to find a website that discuss this, and that have a bunch of shorts that demonstrates the different techniques... hopefully shorts by category (storytelling - editing techniques)...

I belive the only way to find something that works is to:

- Either do it by trial and error... (which take a wicked long time)
- Look at what others have done and learn from it... (but without having to randomy find stuff on www or TV that interests me...)

Do not know if that made it any clearer though... :)

Would be cool if there was a special forum for this here.

Any suggestions... anybody.

Gregory Gesch July 28th, 2010 06:05 PM

Hi Tore. There is a Documentary Forum here at this site:
Documentary Techniques Forum at DVinfo.net
You came to the right place.

Khalil Ismail July 29th, 2010 08:36 PM

I second Mitch response

Here another things you can watch. But keep in mind that a well written story is a key for any film regardless of what type and keep Mitch advice, it is very important. I shut off many films and that turn out to be very good with a bad first 5 minutes. something has to grab your audience. Good Luck

Hulu - Search

Tore B. Krudtaa July 30th, 2010 01:28 AM

Thanks for the feedbacks

I tried the "Hulu search" link, but unfortunately it was only available to those browsing from the US.
Otherwise that would be a good start.

If anyone else has links to online "banks" with documentaries, please post them here.

Khalil Ismail July 31st, 2010 01:50 PM

Here you go

Make Your Own Documentary Film: 10 Easy Steps from Conceptualization to Completion
How to Make a Documentary | eHow.com
How to Write a Documentary | eHow.com
http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/files...ary_script.pdf
'Do It Again,' a fan documentary on the Kinks, screens at Cinefamily tonight | Pop & Hiss | Los Angeles Times