Editing-Storytelling techniques - Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 28th, 2010, 02:33 AM   #1
New Boot

Editing-Storytelling techniques - Questions

Hi

I'm about to create a short documentary with a friend of mine.
It's about informing the public about a political agenda that is hidden for most people in norway, but eventually this issue will affect all people in our country. So the documentary is both for educating / give information to the masses as well as (hopefully) put pressure on the officials that makes the decisions.

What I'm looking for now is to find out how to tell this story. What kind of editing, storytelling technique I want to use.

Is there some place where I online can watch different editing techniques used, where these techniques are discussed and where the different techniques are organized in categories so it easy to browse and find something I can learn from?
Tore B. Krudtaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

When trying to persuade or inform on a sensitive subject, it is best to start with generally accepted or acceptable facts or examples then at the end draw up a conclusion based on what has been said (inductive reasoning). If the statement was bluntly stated at the beginning, people might put up their guard and stop watching or just choose not to believe. Start out softly then gradually build up to your ending statement. Try to have the audience follow along and make the same conclusions you do.
Mitch Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for replying

The reason for me posting this was to see if someone could give me links to forums, threads, sites that are focused on the art of documentary storytelling techniques.

Where various techniques are discussed and kind of browsable ... by example...

I appreciate the tips you gave me... but I'm more after something to look at... to learn... a place where storytelling/editing techniques --- (for documentaries) are discussed and displayed....

The best (for me) would be to find a website that discuss this, and that have a bunch of shorts that demonstrates the different techniques... hopefully shorts by category (storytelling - editing techniques)...

I belive the only way to find something that works is to:

- Either do it by trial and error... (which take a wicked long time)
- Look at what others have done and learn from it... (but without having to randomy find stuff on www or TV that interests me...)

Do not know if that made it any clearer though... :)

Would be cool if there was a special forum for this here.

Any suggestions... anybody.
Old July 28th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Tore. There is a Documentary Forum here at this site:
Documentary Techniques Forum at DVinfo.net
You came to the right place.
Gregory Gesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I second Mitch response

Here another things you can watch. But keep in mind that a well written story is a key for any film regardless of what type and keep Mitch advice, it is very important. I shut off many films and that turn out to be very good with a bad first 5 minutes. something has to grab your audience. Good Luck

Hulu - Search
Khalil Ismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks for the feedbacks

I tried the "Hulu search" link, but unfortunately it was only available to those browsing from the US.
Otherwise that would be a good start.

If anyone else has links to online "banks" with documentaries, please post them here.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite