HDV export to tape. Almost impossible!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 1st, 2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Major Player

HDV export to tape. Almost impossible!!

Major difficulty trying to export HDV video (.m2t files) from the timeline direct to tape on a PC with Premiere CS3.2.

The most current project has failed to completely export 10 times as of the moment.

What transpires: After the material is transcoded & the “render and record” function kicks in, during the actual exporting process, it unexpectedly comes to a unscheduled halt, completely stopping at seemingly random lengths (for some unknown reason). So, the whole project is never delivered to tape. It could be 6 minutes, 45 minutes or some other # made it but never 100%. I then have to start/re-try the export all over again as the XH-A1’s LCD screen goes to black.

Many hours thus far have been wasted. It’s very frustrating as I never had this problem with archiving SD footage to tape like this!

I’ve tried the following thus far:
1) Used several different firewire cords of various quality.
2) Used both an assortment of brand new tapes & also used ones in case that potentially would be the difference between success and failure. Maybe there was a timecode factor that might mess things up, hence the new ones.
3) Loaded several timelines (project master & back-up copies)
4) Relaunch CS3, load a fresh timeline (a copy of the master or the original again) and do another transcode from scratch.

Currently, I’m at my wits end and at an impasse on how to go forward.

The last time I tried this exercise with a different project it took me like 7 times or so in order to get it archived to tape. Persistence & determine paid off that time only.

Naturally, I do not have the time and patience to grapple with this every week so I need help.

What could possibly be causing this, any ideas? Ever happen to you?
What do you use for a firewire cord that works consistently?
Brand? Thickness? Place of purchase?

Something funky is going on here and I’d like to put it behind me as I plan to work with HDV video for along time to come.

Thanks!
Bruce Pelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 05:20 PM   #2
Major Player

For many people cs3 and the A1 do not go together very well.
The HV 20/30/40 is less picky.
Make sure the camera is set to hdv and not auto.
Hook your A1 up to the computer, switch it on.
Now start Premiere.
Hope this helps.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 05:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Bruce. I don't know what I'm talking about but... when I capture via firewire from my XH A1s it comes in as mpg4 - perhaps it's the .m2t that's your issue? (I also had terrible problems with that codec in Premiere and AE when someone gave me some of their footage). For what it's worth.
Gregory Gesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 06:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Right, the A1 uses .m2t's for sure.

I'm wondering if my graphics card (such that it is) is not up to the task somehow or maybe my firewire cord doesn't maintain a firm/solid connection. Maybe it only takes a slight jiggle or vibration to interupt the flow of data.

The first two times I exported HDV project to tape it took me more than a couple of times to get the whole project in there, the last project simply won't transfer no-way no-how!

Something's choking off the process.

Ann: if I upgrade to CS4 does this issue go away? Also, the playback std is set specifically to HDV not auto. Are you saying I should borrow a HV40 ( which I can) and use it instead of the A1? Is there no difference between the 2 units in that particular respect? Did you ever have any problems with dropped transfers?
Bruce Pelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:07 PM   #5
Major Player

The issue probably will go away, I cannot give garantees. But then again i had no trouble capturing in CS3 or exporting (had some trouble in the beginning but i think the camera was not set right) Nor in CS4 and CS5.
Your graphics card has nothing to do with it.

Gregory: the A1 does not capture in mpeg 4 its mpeg 2. In Pro its .mpeg with HDVsplit its .m2t.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite