Premiere cs5 seems to crush my dslr imports... why? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 19th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Premiere cs5 seems to crush my dslr imports... why?

When I view the 1080p MVIs from my dslr with quicktime player (under windows 7) I am seeing the images I desire from the camera. However, when I import those very same files into cs5 Premiere, the images appear horribly crushed---very dark and full of contrast. Can anyone explain why this is happening?

Last edited by Tara Graves; August 20th, 2010 at 01:35 PM.
Tara Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Trustee

Simple: Quicktime screws up the Gamma which lifts the blacks and reduces contrast. What you see in Premiere is your actual video and if you want it to look more like Quicktime, then a simple Gamma correction effect or adjust Gamma within the Levels effect.

This Quicktime 'issue' is something FCP users have had to learn to deal with for sometime now.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It seems that cs5 premiere is clipping the shadows and highlights on import. Apparently the only way around this is to employ cineform? I don't mind purchasing Neoscene since I'll be getting a first class editing codec and avoid the clipping issues.
Old August 20th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
Simple: Quicktime screws up the Gamma which lifts the blacks and reduces contrast. What you see in Premiere is your actual video and if you want it to look more like Quicktime, then a simple Gamma correction effect or adjust Gamma within the Levels effect.

This Quicktime 'issue' is something FCP users have had to learn to deal with for sometime now.
Hmm. Are you saying there is no clipping, and that it is just a gamma shift alone?
Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

it is very bad 0-255 rgb to 16-235 YUV conversion. Cineform does it great and in high quality. You also better lower your contrast to minimum in your DSLR when you shoot video. Default setting is made for photos and their normal 0-255 rgb range. So, crush contrast and colours for better results ( for canon use neutral picture profile)
bye
Mitja Popovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite