CS5 faster than CS4 on a slower system? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 25th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

CS5 faster than CS4 on a slower system?

This article CS5: Should You Upgrade? ANIMOTION mentions the following

Benefits
64bit: In a 32bit program, the maximum memory (RAM) that can be used is 3 GB. Photoshop, Premiere Pro and After Effects CS5 are 64bit programs and can use all of the memory in your computer. This makes the program more stable and faster, especially with complex projects.

Can anyone confirm this? I'm on the fence about upgrading because I only have 4gb of ram.
Joe Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Major Player

I can confirm that I can use cs5 on my Toshiba qusmio celeron laptop with 2 gb ram - cs4 cannot playback any HD files - no problem in CS5. My experience is that my computers that cannot handle cs 4 - works with cs5. Offcourse this will not do on all computers that cannot handle cs4 - like a 286 with 4 Mb ram.....
You gain a lot, just getting a 64 bit program.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Wow! That is interesting.
Joe Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Riggs View Post
This article CS5: Should You Upgrade? ANIMOTION mentions the following

Benefits
64bit: In a 32bit program, the maximum memory (RAM) that can be used is 3 GB. Photoshop, Premiere Pro and After Effects CS5 are 64bit programs and can use all of the memory in your computer. This makes the program more stable and faster, especially with complex projects.

Can anyone confirm this? I'm on the fence about upgrading because I only have 4gb of ram.
Premiere Pro CS5 can use all of that RAM - and the more RAM you add, the better. In fact, with only 4GB of RAM installed, CS5 does not run sufficiently better/faster than CS4 to justify the upgrade.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Actually, I found the Mercury Playback Engine to be worth the price of the upgrade from CS4 to CS5, even on a Dual Core system with only 4 Gigs of RAM. Drop in a NVidia card with CUDA support and CS5 will really perform better than CS4. I did this with a couple of our older Dual Core systems.
David Knarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm on the fence with this one...

Do i upgrade to CS5 on my older HP workstation?
I'd gladly drop the Matrox card for a Cuda card if i felt comforatable knowing that my system could run faster.

I'm cutting HDV for the most part....
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite