Running CS5 application off a SSD drive at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 21st, 2010, 05:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Running CS5 application off a SSD drive

Does anyone have any experience of running the CS5 application off a solid state OS / Application drive with the non-programme data files held elsewhere on other separate drive(s)?

Does a SSD offer any significant benefits over using either a 10,000 rpm velociraptor (or indeed just a standard 7,200 rpm drive) to store the OS / CS5 applications?
Steve Pesenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:24 PM   #2
Wrangler

Just my 2 cents...

I'm using a 120GB Corsair -- would probably be considered a middle of the road SSD, not the fastest out there -- as a C drive. Preview and source video files go on a 4-disk 7200 RAID0 (these are copies of original files...so no need for anyone to go on a tear about RAID0) using the ASUS motherboard's onboard RAID (see my profile for more details).

I'm unable to say whether the SSD actually speeds up the editing process compared to a HDD -- probably not much, if at all. However, now that SSDs are coming down in price, I'd go for it. The overall snappiness of the system is SO much better than I'm used to, it is a joy to use. I have no hesitation at all about opening and closing big programs because it all happens so fast. Preview a bunch of 21MB raw files in Photoshop when I've got PPro, AE, and Soundbooth all running? No sweat, double click the file and I'm in Ps almost as fast as I could have alt-tabbed it from the background. True, on a fast system like this, a regular HDD wouldn't be bad either, but the SSD is nice...and with a much longer MTBF.

Now the next thing is to swap out that12GB of RAM for 24GB as there is performance to gain there, too.

BTW, I just got an RMA for a failed Raptor that was a C drive in my previous (now backup) editing box. WD got the replacement to me no problem, but cost me a lot of time and hassle re-installing / restore everything. This being about the umpteenth failed HDD I've had over the last 10 years or so makes me weary of hard disks...
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:06 PM   #3
Trustee

Hey Pete,

Was that a 150GB Raptor? I had all 4 of my 150GB Raptors die within 2.5 yrs of use, but ALL were replaced with V-Raptors, which is a nice upgrade. However, all my 74GB Raptors are still alive but relegated to a shelf thanks to my Intel X25 G2. I went from having 4 Raptors in Raid 10 for my OS & App drive to the Intel X25, and the Intel SSD makes those 10,000 rpm Raptors feel SLOW.

With SSDs, there are no moving parts to break and they generate no heat or sound.

Btw, I have the Intel X25 80GB in 3 computers now.

In US prices, a 150GB V-Raptor is $180 and an 80GB Intel X25 is $190-200. For an OS drive, 80GB is more than enough.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:39 AM   #4
Wrangler

Yep, it was a 150GB SATA Raptor, model WD1500ADFD. A second 150GB Raptor is still apparently happily running the XP partition on that computer; hopefully if it is going to fail it does so before the 5 year warranty expires.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I was about to buy this 3tb hard drive. Any good for us?

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk Review (3TB) - External Hard Drives - CNET Reviews

fry's has it for $200
Steven Arbiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:35 PM   #6
Wrangler

From a quick look, the GoFlex looks more like a backup solution to me than part of a CS5 system. A fast OS/Program disk (my preference is SSD) and a fast RAID for preview and source files is what is recommended. Even with USB 3, I wouldn't count on optimum temp file performance as compared to a RAID; it is still just a single HDD.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I ended up going with a firewire 800 7200 rpm lacie d2 quadra 2TB. I shall let you know how it works out. Just installed cs5 and about to edit a wedding. I also picked up a kensington orbit with track wheel. I think it will do well with editing. I'm already addicted to using it in lightroom.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 01:23 AM   #8
Trustee

Hey Steve, nice name ;)

If you like the Orbit, I bet you would like Kensington's Mighty Mouse even more. I have had one for 5 years and it cured my carpel tunnel. Also, the trackball helps me 'claim' my computers because no one ever wants to deal with them. People's reaction to it kind of reminds me of Star Trek 4 when Scottie picks up the mouse and starts talking to it.

About that 3TB drive: on a storage forum, a couple highly intelligent people dissected the drive and enclosure. They discovered that the drive only works within that enclosure, so, it cannot be put into another enclosure or directly attached to a sata controller. I think the same applied for the enclosure - only that drive would work in it, but I can't recall for certain. For me, it is very important to be able to remove the drive in case the enclosure dies. This is why I buy enclosures and drives separately.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:23 PM   #9
Regular Crew

The Lacie 2tb d2 quadra hard drive is excessively loud and now making wierd vibration noises. Back to fry's!
Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:29 PM   #10
Trustee

I would avoid Lacie if you can. Check out G-Tech and other FW800 drives/enclosures at newegg.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:44 PM   #11
Regular Crew

the did recommend g-tech but it lays flat and would take up most of my desk space not to mention 40% higher in cost.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 11:13 PM   #12
Inner Circle

If you're talking SSDs, Intel is the only choice. I tried a Corsair Sandforce based SSD before, but for 24/7 use, it stops communicating every 2 days. Intel SSDs have the key of high random IOPS per second (critical for high speed loading of applications) So I'd recommend a X25-V as a starting SSD. It's going around for about 100.

I use a X25-M 80GB and Vegas loads in under 10 seconds. When I had AE, it loaded fully in under 15 seconds. Gen 3 Intel SSDs are coming soon, so if you can hold off until spring next year, they'll probably be faster than Gen 2.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
If you're talking SSDs, Intel is the only choice.
C'mon, that's too much an overstatement. Intel SSDs are widely recognized as being excellent, but such an overarching comment is simply unsupportable. FWIW, I haven't actually timed it, but I'm sure AE loads way faster than 15 seconds on my system with a fairly inexpensive SSD for the OS/Programs.
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Any views on OCZ Vertex vs Intel SSDs?
Steve Pesenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #15
Trustee

Pete, I agree that it was an overstatement.

However, I only use Intel SSDs because of Intel's great self-administering TRIM, which keeps the drive performing as close to full speed as possible. Plus, Intel's SSD software is the only one I am aware of that works with Raid.

But, from what I have read lately, OCZ and Corsair have greatly improved their firmware and 'garbage' cleaning. I think tomshardware recently released a new benchmark with 15 SSDs; so, check that out. One of the most important aspects is how a drive performs after large amounts of data writing to the drive. This is where Intel has shined. Another aspect is to see whether or not you must use the manufacturer's software to 'clean' up the drive. Last I checked, OCZ required a user to perform a clean up every few weeks whereas Intel does not because its firmware is designed to do it.

Also, it is better to use Windows 7 because it has TRIM support, which helps keep a drive 'clean' and performing at its best.

Pete, many things can affect how quickly AE opens, including any 3rd party effects installed and possibly extra fonts installed. I have noticed AE opening quicker if it had been open within an hour or so earlier. The same applies with Photoshop; however, PS CS5 opens within 3-4 seconds on a 7200rpm drive.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite