Premiere CS5, problem with audio track at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 3rd, 2010, 04:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Premiere CS5, problem with audio track

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone has encountered this before and can help me.

I recently upgraded from Production Premium CS4 to CS5, and this is my 3rd project on the new version of Premiere Pro. The first 2 were both CS4 projects that I imported into CS5, but this one I started in CS5. The problem is that my Audio Tack #1. I dropped a few clips into the timeline, both video and audio on tracks #1, and I can manipulate the video track but not the audio track. I can't click on it to highlight the whole clip (clicking on the video track will though), I can't ALT click on it to highlight just the audio track, and I can't move it to another track. If I drop it into tracks 2 or 3 to start with, it works fine, so the problem is only with audio track 1. Also, the name of the clip is greyed out on the audio track (clip.avi [A]). I tried unlinnking the clip, but then I couldn't click on it at all. I couldn't even link the 2 tracks again without going CTRL+Z. I can't right click on it either. The 2 CS4 to CS5 projects work fine.

Can anyone help me with this? I really don't want to just ignore track 1 for this and all future projects.
Thanks.
Kevin Currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Major Player

Without knowing anything about what operating system you are using, your sequence and program settings, and your source material, the first thing I would suggest is starting another new project and testing your audio in that one. PPRo is a very complex piece of software and sometimes things just go wrong with one project.

Otherwise, this sounds to me like it might be a corrupted software installation. Did you upgrade by buying a DVD or did you download the CS5 upgrade files from the Adobe Website? I did the latter and had a couple of weird things happen with my first attempt at installing the CS5 upgrade. The downloads are huge so there is opportunity for file corruption and it took me three tries to get a fully functioning package of apps.

Also, if you are using a Matrox MXO2-Mini, you need to uninstall that software before installing the CS5 upgrade and then re-install the Matrox software. Are you running any Cineform applications and did you re-install the latest versions after installing your CS5 upgrade?

Are you running version 5.0.2 or an earlier version of PPro CS5? If using an earlier version, try downloading and installing the upgrades.

Have you filed a trouble ticket/help request with Adobe or telephoned the support line? After they run you through the obvious questions --- are you absolutely sure that you audio files are not write protected? are you sure you did not accidentally click one of the locking icons for Audio track 1? Are you sure your audio hardware settings match the file settings? etc. etc. --- they may have information to help you.

In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, check the Adobe forums and see if anybody else has reported anything like this.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Major Player

How is track 1 set up? What view options are set on the left side?

It sounds like audio track 1 is set up for track operations instead of clip operations.

You should see some difference in how track 1 looks relative to audio tracks 2 and 3...is there a visible volume handle the entire length of the track vs just on the clip?
Old October 3rd, 2010, 09:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sorry, it was almost 5:00 in the morning when I posted that, and just forgot to add my settings. (I started to type them all out but then I read Tim's post)

Tim was right. At some point I had turned on the track volume option instead of the clip volume. Switched it back and all is right in the world again.
Thanks!
Kevin Currie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite