Creating a new clip from linked footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Creating a new clip from linked footage

Hey all,

I'm trying out the CS5 workflow for the first time since the original Premiere Pro... I'm on a Mac.

I have a bunch of Canon EOS 5D II footage, and separately recorded audio. I'm bringing them in to a timeline, synching them up, discarding the on-camera audio and relinking the clip so that now I have the good video linked with the good audio.

Question:
How do I now get this re-linked clip in to the bin so that I can use it for editing?

In FCP I can just drag it to the bin... but if I do that here I'm getting the video with the original on-camera audio.

Any advice would be appreciated... or any other tips on general workflow for this. Thanks in advance.

(I asked this in another thread, but I think my wording threw people off...)
Old November 3rd, 2010, 05:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Barry. My understanding is that when you place a clip into a sequence it is an 'instance' of the original clip and will always refer back to it - which is the basis of non-destructive editing. So to put your instance with the altered soundtrack into the bin you would need to render it out and make it a seperate clip entirely. However when I have been in your situation I have made the altered clip into a seperate sequence and then just cut and pasted what I need into the major sequence, though you can also nest the whole sequence if that is more appropriate.
I'm happy to be proved wrong though.
Gregory Gesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 06:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Gregory,

Thanks for your response! I got an answer on the Adobe forums basically suggesting that it was impossible. The trouble with nested sequences is that it brings the mixed stereo audio, not the raw four channel audio that I need.
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Trustee

I think that is correct.
To have a unique footage file with the desired audio track will involve rendering out a new clip.
Old November 6th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Major Player

Yup, thanks. What a shame... such a simple thing would save the rendering step (which I'm trying to avoid by moving from FCP) and tip the balances to Premiere... but alas, I've already started cutting it in FCP.
Old November 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #6
Major Player

I believe you *could* hack it by using 5:1 master track and mapping the tracks to one of the speakers, and then mapping them back to whatever location necessary, but it's more PITA than it's worth.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Inner Circle

You've missed a click!

In the first sequence, you have your video track, plus 4 mono tracks, or other combinations - I tend to set this up with the 5.1 output option, but it's not essential as long as you have your separate audio tracks on the timeline. Then do what has been suggested - set up a new sequence, with the usual stereo tracks, mixing down to stereo as per norm. Then, bring in the first sequence into sequence two. You'll find a new single audio track appears, and if you play - it does so in stereo - NOT what is needed.

Highlight the audio track and then in the clip menu, select audio options and there is one that says render and replace. Use this, and in the bin appears a new clip sequence 1 audio extracted - this is your separate audio files as a group. bring this in, and your separate tracks appear, along with a fader per track in the mixer box. Delete any empty tracks and away you go. The new tracks are locked together, and highlighting one, selects all - but this is good. Any clever stuff other than levels can be done in the original sequence window. But you have level and stereo pan for each one.

Hope this helps.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #8
Adobe Systems

Creating a New Clip from Linked Footage

Hi All,
With the advent of HD video shot on DSLRs with separate sound recording systems, more and more editors are needing to create new clips from linked footage. This thread has some good advice but if you are confused about any of the details, take a look at the following pages I've pulled from Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 Help.

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 * Workflow and overview for exporting
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 * Copy and paste at the current-time indicator
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 * Nest sequences
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 * Render and replace audio

Last edited by Kevin Monahan; December 8th, 2010 at 11:33 AM.
Kevin Monahan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite