Perfomance issues CS5 AVCHD & MXO2 MINI workflow - comments welcome! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 21st, 2010, 02:18 PM   #16
Major Player

The MXO2 Mini does not add any Matrox codecs to any CS5 apps. The Mini with Max provides hardware acceleration for encoding to H264 and may add a Matrox codec for that. (Don't know as I only have the plain Mini.).

Without Cineform, one could use Adobe Media Encoder to convert AVCHD/mts files to, say, Microsoft AVI or to a plain MPEG2 or maybe to MXF. I imagine that MPEG2 would be like editing HDV after conversion.

I've never tried this for editing files since I have Cineform NeoHD which comes with Cineform's "First Light" application. FL works on metadata so I find it very easy for me to make basic color adjustments to video files (say, tweaking my Canon XH footage to match that from my Sony Cams) with very little load on the system. When I get some time in the next week, I might try this kind of conversion and see what I get.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 04:26 PM   #17
Major Player

I know that the old manual of RT.X2 suggests to take AVCHD files, and transcode them to the Matrox codec.
So saying that, Matrox should allow the free download from their website....
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 05:03 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic View Post
I know that the old manual of RT.X2 suggests to take AVCHD files, and transcode them to the Matrox codec.
So saying that, Matrox should allow the free download from their website....
And they do... that's how I got mine.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:48 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Interesting Peter, I'm going to try that...
Michiel van Baasbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:40 PM   #20
Major Player

If the MXO installer doesn't add the codecs and exporters to CS5, the Matrox codec installer will, which is now a free installer. Matrox MPEG2 I-Frame HD is a good 8bit intermediate codec, which I used for a long time before converting to Cineform for 10bit color. That would make a good alternative to AVCHD for MXO2 editing on PC, but is not at all compatible with Avid or OSX.
Old November 26th, 2010, 05:53 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Very interesting discussion.

My Matrox Mini 02 w/Max cost about $850.

Why did I buy it?

1. Because it's the only non-Avid solution that allows me to monitor in HD.

2. Because after testing the colors, it appears to be better than what I had before.

3. Because my budget simply will not allow me a $2500 monitor.

4. I am not doing film or broadcast level grading. When I buy a DaVinci or a Pablo, I'll worry about my Matrox.
Did BlackMagic Intensity Pro not provide similar capabilities? While being significantly cheaper?
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Walczak View Post
Did BlackMagic Intensity Pro not provide similar capabilities? While being significantly cheaper?
See point #1.

(Additionally, I didn't have to get the unit with MAX. The normal unit is $450.)
Old November 27th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #23
Major Player

Matrox MXO2 offers output from Avid, while the Blackmagic does not. Since this thread is in the CS5 forum, and those products offer similar features in CS5, that is probably why there is so much confusion about formats and capabilities. Cineform MOV is the only format I am aware of that will play in RT out of the MXO2 from both CS5 and Avid. Avid only supports MOVs and MXFs, and Matrox's CS5 editing modes only support Matrox formats (Mostly AVI based) and Cineform. XDCam MXF files might be another option, but the workflow will be less intiutive than using CIneform.
Old November 27th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McCarthy View Post
Avid only supports MOVs and MXFs,
What version of Avid are you talking about? Because version 5 certainly supports more than that.
Old November 28th, 2010, 12:51 AM   #25
Major Player

Feel free to elaborate. As far as I know, Avid supports converting all imported files to MXF, or linking to them via AMA. AMA supports P2, XD, EX, (all basically MXF) and Quicktime MOVs. (Plus RED technically I guess) It does not support AVI files at all, which is the primary format of most CS5 based workflows on the PC side, leaving you rather limited.
Old November 28th, 2010, 01:27 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McCarthy View Post
Feel free to elaborate. As far as I know, Avid supports converting all imported files to MXF, or linking to them via AMA. AMA supports P2, XD, EX, (all basically MXF) and Quicktime MOVs. (Plus RED technically I guess) It does not support AVI files at all, which is the primary format of most CS5 based workflows on the PC side, leaving you rather limited.
EX is not MXF and Avid won't support it that way. It DOES support it as Mpeg2 wrapped in an Mpeg4 container. And yes, it directly support .R3D. P2 (DVCProHD/AVC-Intra) are MXF, and as you said, MOV. It does not support AVI which certainly does put a crimp in the workflow between CSX/Vegas and Avid. I lived with the pain in Vegas by essentially mostly working with DNxHD36. It was good enough for web work and downconvert to SD. But working on broadcast level stuff was much more painful.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite