Custom Build Workstation for PPRO CS5- Please Help - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 15th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #16
Major Player

thanks Randall. I surely respect your pov on builds, you seem to be the go to guys round here. thanks again.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #17
Major Player

Any thoughts on buying a packaged 6x4GB RAM vs 2 separate 3x4GB sticks?

Thanks.
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Chung View Post
Any thoughts on buying a packaged 6x4GB RAM vs 2 separate 3x4GB sticks?

Thanks.
Prepackaged 6 x 4GB RAM has all six sticks tested together in the same system before packaging. By contrast, two separate 3 x 4GB packages have not been tested together, and are not guaranteed to work together at their advertised settings: Some packages may require loosening of the latency timings to higher-numbered setting and/or a reduction of the memory speed and/or a further bump in the DIMM and/or QPI voltages in order to run stably, while other separate packages might not work together at all at any speed or timings. (Although each separate kit has been tested together within kits.)

One disadvantage of buying a prepackaged 6 x 4GB RAM: You do pay a small price premium over buying separate packages. Therefore, you pay more for peace of mind.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #19
Trustee

Randall,

Unfortunately hexa kits are not usually tested, but come from the same production run, lessening the chances of mismatch. Testing is something seldom done in practice.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #20
Major Player

Harm,

That makes sense. Testing selected batches is up to the company branding those sticks.

On the other hand, buying two separate triple-stick packages increases the potential of getting two kits with completely different ICs and/or two completely different production batches that might not play well together, especially if the packages had been ordered online sight unseen.
Old January 16th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #21
Trustee

I absolutely agree with that. If you can get hex-kits, go for it.
Old January 16th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #22
Major Player

Thanks, Randall and Harm. I guess a corollary would be to stick with the same manufacturer, speed, and timings if you buy more RAM at a later date?
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Chung View Post
Thanks, Randall and Harm. I guess a corollary would be to stick with the same manufacturer, speed, and timings if you buy more RAM at a later date?
There is no guarantee that a kit bought months or years later would play nice with your system's existing RAM. This is because production batches and ICs are subject to change.
Old January 18th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #24
Major Player

Ram or CPU

I am getting close to a purchase with CS5. Do I put my extra money in a six core CPU or 24 megs of Ram? In other words which one would give the most boost to the CS5 system?

Last edited by Greg Clark; January 18th, 2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Megs should be GB
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #25
Trustee

First priority would be 24 GB, second a hexa core.
Old January 18th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #26
Trustee

The reason not to get a single package of 6 sticks is if one fails under warranty, all 6 must be shipped back. I had a similar situation with a 3 pack of OCZ ram.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
The reason not to get a single package of 6 sticks is if one fails under warranty, all 6 must be shipped back. I had a similar situation with a 3 pack of OCZ ram.
Same holds true when it comes to getting two packages of RAM that might not work together at all even if they both appear to be the exact same part number. Some years ago I bought two packages of the exact same brand and model of RAM that turned out to not work together at all at any speed. (Although each of the individual kits worked together within kits.) I ended up shipping both kits back because I did not want to take the risk of getting a replacement kit that might still not work at all with the kit I would have been keeping. (And as it turned out, had I shipped only one of the kits back, the reseller would have rejected the RMA anyway because compatibility issues are in their eyes insufficient to warrant a return. They told me that if I really wanted to return one kit of RAM simply because it wouldn't work properly or at all with another kit of the same brand and part number I purhased at the same time, I would have had to return both kits.)
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Clark View Post
I am getting close to a purchase with CS5. Do I put my extra money in a six core CPU or 24 megs of Ram? In other words which one would give the most boost to the CS5 system?
just in case, If you want to have 24Gb RAM make sure your OS supports that, Win 7 home does not;
I have CS 5 installed on i7 930 2.8Ghz 12Gb RAM, it runs OK, but now I'm getting new PC and this time I'll get more RAM, really want SSD RAID 0 and for sure the best graphics card I can afford.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 08:16 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger View Post

Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor

Adobe CS5 Production Premium
Hey Joe, hows that Six-core working out, is it a huge difference?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite