How Many Hard Drives?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 7th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How Many Hard Drives??

One for CS4, one for the captured video, one to edit your project. Is that correct.
Best to have all internal?

Can I use a 7200 rpm USB 2.0 external HD for any of the above, or will that really slow things down?

What about the scratch disc?
Thanks, Tom B.
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Blizzard View Post
One for CS4, one for the captured video, one to edit your project. Is that correct.
Best to have all internal?

Can I use a 7200 rpm USB 2.0 external HD for any of the above, or will that really slow things down?

What about the scratch disc?
Thanks, Tom B.
Tom,

External USB 2.0 hard drives are not recommended for anything besides the rendered output drive. That's because the USB 2.0 Hi-Speed interface itself is limited to a maximum practical (sequential) transfer rate of about 31 MB/s, and even the minimum sequential transfer speed of today's 7200 RPM hard drives greatly surpass that 31 MB/s transfer speed. (In fact, even a 5400 RPM hard drive often surpasses 100 MB/s in sequential transfers.) The average sequential transfer speed of a modern 7200 RPM hard drive connected externally via USB 2.0 Hi-Speed is about three to four times slower than the same drive connected internally via SATA.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Randall,
Didn't know there was that much difference. Thanks so much......
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Randall

Have you tried any of the USB 3.0 drives yet. I haven't had a chace to them yet myself, but was hoping they would be able to work with Premiere CS5. I am hoping to keep the raw footage on the external drive and edit off of it.

Any input?
David Knarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knarr View Post
Randall

Have you tried any of the USB 3.0 drives yet. I haven't had a chace to them yet myself, but was hoping they would be able to work with Premiere CS5. I am hoping to keep the raw footage on the external drive and edit off of it.

Any input?
USB 3.0 is about as fast as eSATA in theory - but all of the current USB 3.0 (actually, USB 2.0/3.0) hard drives sold at most retailers spin at only 5400 RPM. The only USB 3.0 hard drive kit that uses 7200 RPM hard drives that I know of are WD's My Book 3.0 - but those drives are USB 3.0 only (no USB 2.0 support), and are relatively hard to find at resellers.
Old December 8th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #6
Major Player

I use a wd caviar black 7200rpm in a bytec usb3 enclosure and attain writes speed in the 100mb/s range so no different than internal sata or external esata

Last edited by Bruce Dempsey; December 8th, 2010 at 10:37 AM.
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Dempsey View Post
I use a wd caviar black 7200rpm in a bytec usb3 enclosure and attain writes speed in the 10mb/s range so no different than internal sata or external esata
10 MB/s is much, much, much slower than what the drive is capable of. In this case, something in your system or the drive enclosure's chipset must be bottlenecking the drive's throughput.
Old December 8th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #8
Major Player

typo
should have read 100
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Dempsey View Post
typo
should have read 100
That's about what the original 1TB WD Black is capable of sequentially (on the outer tracks). There are faster (sequentially) 7200 RPM drives on the market.

By the way, my "5400 RPM" comment refers to the retail-boxed external USB 3.0/2.0 hard drive kits (the hard drive already pre-installed by the drive manufacturer into an external enclosure). But in this case, the 5400 RPM drive inside those pre-assembled enclosures is roughly as fast (sequentially) as that original 1TB WD Black internal hard drive.
Old December 8th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I was looking at the Bytecc case and installing a 7200 rpm drive.

Bruce, glad to hear you are getting 100mb/s speed. I will order the Bytecc case this afternoon.

Thanks,
David Knarr
Studio 1 Productions
Old December 8th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #11
Major Player

I would recommend keeping your OS and apps including CS4/5 on the internal C:Drive. If you have a second internal drive or array, put your media and your project files on it. If your second drive is a USB3 drive, I would store all of the media there, and backup my projecct there, but I would keep the active project files on the internal drive. USB3 is as fast as SATA in most cases, but the additional interface is likely to lead to higher latency. The project files (and accompanying temp files) are quite small, so the bandwidth isn't as much of an issue as the latency each time a different one is requested by the app.
Old December 8th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Mike,
I am only going to use the USB3 drive to store the media and backup files there. I have a need to move the drive between two systems at two physical location.

I just ordered a couple of the Bytecc USB3 cases, they should be here by the weekend.

David Knarr
Studio 1 Productions
Old December 12th, 2010, 04:05 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Leong View Post
USB 3.0 is about as fast as eSATA in theory - but all of the current USB 3.0 (actually, USB 2.0/3.0) hard drives sold at most retailers spin at only 5400 RPM. The only USB 3.0 hard drive kit that uses 7200 RPM hard drives that I know of are WD's My Book 3.0 - but those drives are USB 3.0 only (no USB 2.0 support), and are relatively hard to find at resellers.
I built my own, using a Seagate 2TB 7200 rpm w/32mb buffer. Works great with USB3. Very quick. No need to settle for what the packaged HD manufacturers are selling.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #14
Major Player

I use a 17-inch MacBook Pro; just upgraded the original Hitachi 7200RPM 200Gb SATA HDD with a Seagate 7200RPM 500Gb SATA HDD. I connect to external HDDs through an dual eSATA ExpressCard 34.

I also carry a 2.5-inch Seagate 7200RPM 250Gb SATA HDD in a Vantec NexStar 3 external enclose case. This case has eSATA and USB 2.0 connections.

When I am home I have a 3.5-inch Seagate 7200RPM 1Tb SATA HDD in a Vantec NexStar 3 enclosure. This enclosure offers eSATA, Firewire 800 and USB2.0 connections.
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Just got in the Bytecc USB 3.0 case and USB 3.0 card.

Dropped in a Samsung 2TB hard drive with 32 meg cache. I am getting an average data transfer rate of 92 mb/s. So I am happy with it. So far, with Premiere CS5 it seems to be working fine editing footage off of the drive.
David Knarr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite