CS4 Captured-Audio locked on Tracks 3&4 ?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 15th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

CS4 Captured-Audio locked on Tracks 3&4 ??

I sure can't figure this one out. I just captured a 7 minute clip. Tried capturing it with two different capturing programs and both give the same result. When I pull it down to the timeline, the single stereo audio track is "locked" on the timeline into audio tracks 3 and 4. Strange.

It won't budge.... Video is where it should be at Track 1, I can not move the audio up to track one.

Suggestions?
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

This probably isn't it, but when this type of thing has happened to me, it's because the tracks where I want the audio to go (and where it refuses to go) are the wrong format. When I go into preferences and change the audio track format everything works, but only on projects created after I made the change.

So if you have a stereo track it won't drop into a timeline audio track designated as 5.1 or anything else.

Sounds like this probably isn't your issue but worth checking.

Also, try right clicking on the audio tracks in the timeline and selecting "Unlink." Sometimes that lets you move stuff around.
Old December 15th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Adam,
I think you might be right and on to something...... I noticed in the "Effect Controls" window, it shows
Audio Effects 1 for Clip 01 which ended up in Audio track 4 on the timeline, plus it shows Audio effects 2 for the same Clip 1 which ended up as Audio 5 on the timeline. I've never had the same clip end up on two audio tacks....
Guess I've got to work with this........
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Crazy....... at the top of the Project panel it shows 48000 HZ - 16-bit - 2 Mono.

Maybe the 2 Mono means there ARE 2 mono tracks..... Ok. I unlinked the tracks in the timeline and cleared Audio track 5 and THEN I was able pull up audio track 4 into the timeline Audio 1 position. Success...........

Why in the world did they get locked into tracks 4 and 5 in the first place ?????
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Blizzard View Post
Why in the world did they get locked into tracks 4 and 5 in the first place ?????
I wish I knew. This has plagued me for a long time. It looks like, though, that the "unlink" option is the solution.
Old December 15th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Adobe Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Blizzard View Post
Perhaps this video will shed some light.
Old December 15th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Wow. What a great tutorial. Thanks, Kevin.
Old December 15th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Wow...... but wait.......... How did he get all the audio tracks separate in his Project Panel??

Mine simply shows : Sequence 01 and under that it shows: Untitled Clip 01.avi

There are no audio tracks shown. So, when I right click it does not show: Modify.

Shows nothing like the tutorial..... How do I get the audio parts to come up in the Project Panel?
Old December 15th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Might be because you are on CS4. On CS5 it shows as indicated. But as he noted, you can't change anything if the clip is already on the timeline -- the audio options are greyed out. They re-appear if you delete the clip from the timeline and right-click it in the project panel bin.
Old December 17th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Adam,
I did delete the clip from the timeline. Hummmmmmm I guess it's because it is an .avi file or maybe, like you say, I'm using CS4.
Think I'll go back and recapture the DV clip from my cam and try it..........
Old December 17th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Yep, Adam you are right. It is different for CS4. This does work... Great.

Here tis:
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 * Map audio channels
Old October 22nd, 2011, 09:45 AM   #12
New Boot

Re: CS4 Captured-Audio locked on Tracks 3&4 ??

Can I reopen this old subject, A doddery old pensioner following a hobby with Premiere CS5 and none of the answers above seem to hit the problem exactly. I was editing last night, adding clips to the timeline within a sequence, clip and audio going happily into tracks one for both video and audio with 3 video and 3 audio tracks. Then for no reason that I know, clips stopped going into audio 1, an extra 3 tracks were added to the audio and while video still went into video 1, audio would now only go into audio 4 (ie the first of the added tracks). I can move the audio to new tracks 4,5 & 6, but no way will it move up into the original tracks 1,2 & 3. I have tried deleting clips and replacing them on the timeline, but the problem seems there to stay.

I assume I have unwittingly clicked something, but what. All clips and timeline tracks are set as stereo, and all the clips I have been using were captured at the same with the same settings. Even clips that earlier went happily into audio 1, if placed on the timeline again, they will only go into track 4. Incidently, audio 4 now has "A1" at left hand side although audio 1 is the targeted (highlighted) track.

Silly, and easy enough to work around and so it is not the "end of the world" but it's driving me nuts!!!!!

Thanks to any expert that can help, Nigel
Nigel Eaton-Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #13
New Boot

OOOPs. Couldn't open the reference to the video the other day, my browser just gave "Page not available". However, I have seen it now and it answers most of the questions. All I have to do now is work out why the camera has captured some clips in mono and some in stereo.........or why premiere has captured some clips in a batch capture in mono and some in stereo........All show as stereo when I look at their properties in Premiere!! I think this afternoon will be spend recapturing.........................Nigel
Nigel Eaton-Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #14
Major Player

Perhaps clicking on "modify->audio channels" or clip->audio->source channel mapping will allow you to change the settings without recapture, unless you have already used these clips in the timeline?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite