No audio in timeline/sequence, only in source - CS5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 21st, 2010, 08:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

No audio in timeline/sequence, only in source - CS5

Hi all,

I'm using CS5 on a PC (system details below) and a strange audio issue has come up that causes me not to be able to hear any audio in the timeline, only in the source window. Any clues or help would be valuable, thanks!

Details:

- Audio meters function and show that audio is present
- Waveforms look normal in the timeline
- Volume is not down on the track
- There are no errant keyframes on the audio track
- This happens with all projects, all video formats
- I can hear the audio in the source window
- If I right-click on the sequence in the project window and select "Open in Source Monitor", I am able to hear the audio when playing the sequence in the source window, just not in the timeline or Program window
- If I output media from the timeline, audio is intact and I can hear it in the outputted file
- I can hear all other computer system sounds, YouTube, iTunes, etc with no problems
- I've uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Creative Suite

Any ideas? I'm editing deaf!

System info:
AMD Phenom(tm) II x4 810 Processor 2.60 GHz
Windows 7 Pro
8 GB Ram
64-bit Operating System

Thanks!
Rob Unck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 08:51 AM   #2
Major Player

On the far left of the audio track in the timeline sequence there is a box that toggles between "on" and "mute". Did you someone uncheck that?
Old December 21st, 2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi David,

Thanks for your quick reply! The track is unmuted. That is, the "Toggle Track Output" button that looks like a speaker isn't clicked off.

It also doesn't matter in which track I place the audio, I get no sound in the timeline from Audio Tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, etc...

However, I can still see that the waveform is there and I can see the audio meters are working, just can't hear it.

Very confusing...
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:23 AM   #4
New Boot

I have had that happen to me on rare occasions. I just remove the clip, then put it back in.
Barry Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Unck View Post
Hi all,
- I've uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Creative Suite
The exact same thing happened to me after the 5.03 Update to PPro was installed. You not only need to uninstall the entire CS5, but you also need to use the Adobe - Adobe CS5 Clean Tool before you do your re-install.

Since the Cleaner Tool eliminates all traces of the Creative Suite from your computer, it could potentially impact CS4 and CS3 installations, so it is a tool of last resort.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 05:09 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield View Post
You not only need to uninstall the entire CS5, but you also need to use the Adobe - Adobe CS5 Clean Tool before you do your re-install.

Since the Cleaner Tool eliminates all traces of the Creative Suite from your computer, it could potentially impact CS4 and CS3 installations, so it is a tool of last resort.
Hi Jay, thanks so much, but something must be really screwy with my system or settings because it didn't work for me.

I followed all of Adobe's instructions, restarted after uninstalling the apps and then restarted again after running the Cleaner Tool. Still having the same issue with no audio playing in the timeline, no matter what project, video format, audio format... I can hear audio in the source window, but nowhere else.

Anyone who's reading this and might have any other ideas can scroll up to my original post for more details.

Thanks already to the folks who've offered up help!
Old December 24th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #7
Major Player

The only other thing that I can suggest is that you deactivate before you uninstall and then re-enter the S/N. It almost sounds like your copy of Premiere may have lapsed into trial mode. Have you noticed anything else unusual about playback from the timeline?

Beyond that, you're only hope is to work with Adobe to see what support might have to say.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Have you set up your media cache location correctly and did the clips "conform" when you imported them to the project?
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Yep, media cache location is correctly set up, all clips conform, I did deactivate before uninstall and re-entered the S/N when I reinstalled. Nothing else about playback from the timeline is strange.

I can hear audio everywhere I expect to hear audio on my PC, whether in Premiere or other apps, except when playing back the sequence from the timeline.

When I right click the sequence in the project window and select "Open in Source Monitor", I can hear the audio. When I export the sequence from the timeline, the audio is present in the exported file, I just can't hear anything played in the timeline no matter which project, which audio track is used, it's not muted.....

I think it's time I talk to Adobe support. ;)

Thanks again for the suggestions so far and I'm happy to hear more if anyone has ideas.
Old January 12th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #10
Tourist

I just had this same problem and found your thread while looking for solutions. Don't know if you've solved it yet, but I finally figured out what was causing this behavior for me. If you right-click on a sequence and go to sequence settings, the first entry there is "Editing mode". If that's set to anything other than "Desktop" then it seems you won' t hear your sequence audio from your desktop speakers - it is trying to send it to whatever it is set to there. For example, I have a Blackmagic Intensity Pro, and discovered that my sequence was set to "Blackmagic NTSC DV". It seems you can't change the Editing Mode once it's set for a sequence, but creating a new sequence from scratch and setting the Editing Mode to "Desktop" will create a sequence that plays the audio out through your computer's sound card.

Hope this helps someone, good luck!
Craig A. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 03:30 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks Craig, that did it! Mine was set to my Blackmagic card as well. Thanks again.
Old January 12th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks Craig, that did it! Mine was set to my Blackmagic card as well. Thanks again.
If you want audio from any Blackmagic Design timeline you *must* use their audio output on the card. There is no other way to get audio out from any Blackmagic Design timeline.

Så fungerar det! :)
Old January 12th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Always mention you are using 3rd party hardware.
Premiere can acts quite differently.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite