AMD Video Cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 24th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #1
Major Player

AMD Video Cards

Anybody using AMD video cards w/CS5 PPro?

I realize that CS5 PPro runs the Mercury Playback Engine optimally with an nVidia CUDA certified (or hacked) video card, but am wondering how well MPE (I believe it's only software mode) works with AMD cards.
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: AMD Video Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Clark View Post
Anybody using AMD video cards w/CS5 PPro?

I realize that CS5 PPro runs the Mercury Playback Engine optimally with an nVidia CUDA certified (or hacked) video card, but am wondering how well MPE (I believe it's only software mode) works with AMD cards.
In software mode, the performance is about the same regardless of the graphics card - far slower (about 10 to 14 times slower in timeline rendering for previews) than the performance of an Nvidia-equipped system with MPE set to the GPU mode. However, systems with AMD cards generally perform slightly better than systems with Nvidia cards with MPE forced to run in software-only mode. This is due to the larger footprint of the Nvidia drivers.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Adobe Systems

If this is important to you, make a feature request to support this card: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the link Kevin; appreciate it!!

I just submitted my "wish" for the hardware acceleration using AMD video cards. It'd be nice to have options and not being tied to one vendor. Would definitely be great for us end users and may benefit Adobe as well.
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite