Running CS5 via Bootcamp on a Macbook Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 1st, 2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Running CS5 via Bootcamp on a Macbook Pro

I am a long time Premiere via desktop PC editor that is looking to finally get a laptop. Out of all the laptops out there, I've always wanted to go with a Macbook because I just like them more overall than PCs; also, I want to be able to become fluent with Final Cut Pro again. But the idea of switching to a new platform/OS has always been a daunting idea, what with the compatibility of all my previous work and things like that.

However, a while ago I heard about the Bootcamp feature for OS X and from what I can tell, it seems to be an amazing solution to my problem: being able to use the same laptop as an OS X / FCP machine, as well as a Win 7 / CS5 machine. I know that MPE most likely has no chance of working (especially since the new MBP's have Radeon graphics now), but I've only read good things regarding the overall performance: ie. "macs run Windows better than PCs can", etc.

I have yet to hear from anyone that is specifically using a MBP, or Mac Pro, with CS5 via Windows bootcamp though. Does anyone here have experience with this workflow?

Thanks!
Rob Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:10 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Running CS5 via Bootcamp on a Macbook Pro

In other words, this question deals with running the PC version of CS5
on a Mac, as opposed to running the Mac version of CS5... because
CS5 is available for the Mac natively.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I can't speak to CS5 on a bootcamp machine, but I've owned and used several Bootcamped audio DAWs and they work spectacularly. Basically, not different than using a PC.

That being said, there are things about the build of that partition that you'll need to watch out for, but once you get the computer working, the software follows easily.

The things to be aware of-

If you want to use Win 7 64, you need Snow Leopard as the OS. Basically means you need a newer MBP.

Don't count on expresscard slots working as advertised. At least with the audio side of thngs, big issues with it working- there has been a fight between some of the hardware peripheral manufacturers and apple as the drivers for the Expresscard slot are either crippled or non-existant.

Be aware of the default power regulation in Windows. Takes away a lot of the CPU power. You need to run it at full power, and probably a plug for AC. When running at full power, the laptop does get rather hot. Probably would want some external fans to help cool it.

As long as you do those couple things, I'd think you'd be in good shape. I love my Bootcamp partition on my MBP.

--Ben
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:57 AM   #4
Major Player

I had a 2009 MacPro (2-2.26ghz / 16gb RAM / ATI 4870) running the latest Snow Leopard and BootCamp'd with Windows 7 Ultimate 64. But I only was using (in Win7) CS3 not the CS5.

For me, it was a solid performing machine...on both sides....with no major issues at all. Installed FCS2 and Toast and it ran well. I just didn't really care for FCP....but the upcoming new version may change my mind!! The iLife stuff is quite fun too. And yes, it is sweet to have two nice solid OS's running on the same machine.

BUT...if you are looking to specifically run CS5 (Windows version), you won't get the hardware benefit of PPro CS5's MPE on the new MBP's. If you decide to get a MacPro, this will get you the hardware benefit for the MPE .....IF....you purchase the Quadro FX4000 video card option. And with that, I think that you can just purchase the Mac version of CS5 and not worry about BootCamp or Win 7.

Also, I am not sure if the new MBP's have enough RAM to run CS5 properly/easily. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. But I believe Adobe posted some "minimum" RAM specs somewhere on their site in regards to running CS5 and I thought it was around 12gb - 16gb...but I could have misread.

Mac's are extremely well designed and built...but are limited in hardware options and expansion abilities. If you can live with that, go for it.
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite