Adjusting Timeline Position? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 18th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Major Player

Adjusting Timeline Position?

I'm new to Premier having worked on Vegas Pro all of my editing life I'm now trying to teach myself Premier for it's plug-in support. Is it possible to change the position of the timeline counter (the part where you move the red line) from the top to the bottom? Is there a setting somewhere that allows you to simply move the "red vertical line" where ever you click or can the line only be move by clicking in the timeline counter area? Hopefully all this makes sense.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Adjusting Timeline Position?

The red line -- Premiere calls it the Current Time Indicator, or CTI -- is most easily positioned by clicking on the little blue "bulb" thingy at the top of the line and just dragging it to where you want it to go....you can position it more precicely, frame-by-frame by using the left and right arrow keys on your keyboard.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Inner Circle

And yes, clicking anywhere on the "time ruler" -- the time and frame numbers above the sequence -- will instantly put the CTI there.

Here's a good explanation of how it all works:

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 * Navigate in a sequence

I don't think there's any way to move the "bulb" to the bottom of the vertical line, if that's what you're asking.

Quote:
Position the current-time indicator in a Timeline panel

Do any of the following:

■In the time ruler, drag the current-time indicator or click where you want to position the current-time indicator.

■Drag in the current time display.

■Click in the current time display, type a valid time, and press Enter (Windows) or Return (Mac OS).

■Use any playback control in the Program Monitor.

■Press the Left or Right Arrow key to move the current-time indicator in the direction you want. Press Shift while pressing the arrow keys to move in increments of five frames.
Old March 18th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Battle and Adam, I was hoping that the time ruler could be moved to the bottom, I have two monitors and usually place my timeline on one monitor exclusively which means I have to move my mouse all the way to the top to navigate my Current‑time indicator which is a little annoying because in Vegas the CTI simply moved where-ever I clicked however I'm sure it's something I will grow accustomed to.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks to Adam for a more complete reply...you can also use the page up and page down keys to move from edit point to edit point, and the home and end keys to go to the head or tail of the sequence. Being new to Premiere, you will likely have a lot of these kinds of questions --- the Adobe help files are a click away and very concise; Adobe has a lot of video tutorials at adobe.com that are nicely done, and sell the "Classroom in a Book" series for their various programs that are also helpful. "Premiere Pro Bible" by droblas and greenberg, published by Wiley, is an old standby, although I have not seen one since CS3, even that covers a lot of the current basics...good luck with your transition!
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks, Battle; I meant to mention the Home, End, PgUp and PgDn keys but neglected to do so. Note that this only works when you have the proper track targeted -- I can't tell you how many times I've cursed Premiere for "not working" when I just forgot to target the track.

Nick, I know what you mean; one of the biggest problems I had when trying out Vegas after being a Premiere user is the difference in the screen layout. In Vegas, the timeline is on the top, yes? That alone made my head explode and I gave up ;-).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite