DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Dragging from the Finder to the Timeline or Source Monitor? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/497727-dragging-finder-timeline-source-monitor.html)

Ben Freedman June 27th, 2011 02:56 PM

Dragging from the Finder to the Timeline or Source Monitor?

Howdy...

Another FCPer here thinking about switching...

Here's something I loved in FCP. I could drag media directly from the Finder into the source window, or straight to the timeline...

Is that possible in PP CS5.5? Or do I have to drag into the project window first, and then double click to open in the Source window?

Thanks

Ben

Bart Walczak June 27th, 2011 03:33 PM

Re: Dragging from the Finder to the Timeline or Source Monitor?

I think you can't do it straight from Finder, but Premiere has its own media explorer where you can preview the footage on any hard drive, and then drag it directly to the timeline or source window if you wish.

Ben Freedman June 27th, 2011 03:39 PM

That's great, but I don't believe the Media Browswer has a nice, large icon view with preview similar to the Mac Finder...

Best,

Ben

Roger Averdahl June 28th, 2011 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Freedman (Post 1662202)
That's great, but I don't believe the Media Browswer has a nice, large icon view with preview similar to the Mac Finder...

I am not at a Mac right now, but afaik you should be able to drag clips from Finder to the Project panel in Premiere Pro.

Then, you can the either press , or . to place the multiple clips on the Timeline, or assign a Keyboard Shortcut to Open in Source Monitor to open multiple clips in the Source.

Ben Freedman June 28th, 2011 09:40 AM

You can certainly drag them to the project panel, but was hoping to drag them to the preview or timeline... Thanks tho...

Best,

Ben

Roger Averdahl June 28th, 2011 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Freedman (Post 1662426)
You can certainly drag them to the project panel, but was hoping to drag them to the preview or timeline... Thanks tho...

Thats why i wrote ...assign a Keyboard Shortcut to Open in Source Monitor to open multiple clips in the Source.

Drag the clips to the Project panel, hit the keyboard shortcut and you have all the clips you just dragged from finder open in the Source. So it's only one keystroke away. :) ( Source = preview )

To assign a Keyboard Shortcut:
1. Edit > Keyboard Shortcut
2. See attached image (Change it to whatever fits you)
3. Click OK

Ben Freedman June 28th, 2011 10:42 AM

Howdy...

Sorry that I'm not being clearer.... I don't need multiple clips. I just love how in FCP I can drag a clip directly from my huge-thumbnail-finder view to the source or timeline without any other steps, dragging anywhere else, or messing with shortcuts.

It's not a deal-breaker...in fact it's a tiny item, but it's just something I miss from FCP 7. Dragging to the project windows first is easy, but an additional step I was hoping to circumvent...

Thanks anyways...

Best,

Ben

Roger Averdahl June 28th, 2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Freedman (Post 1662456)
Sorry that I'm not being clearer.... I don't need multiple clips. I just love how in FCP I can drag a clip directly from my huge-thumbnail-finder view to the source or timeline without any other steps, dragging anywhere else, or messing with shortcuts.

No problems, Ben! :)

I assumed that you meant multiple clips, my bad.

However, that shortcut is great to have anyway since several double clicks per day can be avoided. :)

Adobe listens to their customers, so please file a Feature Request and describe what you want: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form