Dragging from the Finder to the Timeline or Source Monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 27th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Dragging from the Finder to the Timeline or Source Monitor?

Howdy...

Another FCPer here thinking about switching...

Here's something I loved in FCP. I could drag media directly from the Finder into the source window, or straight to the timeline...

Is that possible in PP CS5.5? Or do I have to drag into the project window first, and then double click to open in the Source window?

Thanks

Ben
Ben Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Dragging from the Finder to the Timeline or Source Monitor?

I think you can't do it straight from Finder, but Premiere has its own media explorer where you can preview the footage on any hard drive, and then drag it directly to the timeline or source window if you wish.
Old June 27th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That's great, but I don't believe the Media Browswer has a nice, large icon view with preview similar to the Mac Finder...

Best,

Ben
Old June 28th, 2011, 01:26 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Freedman View Post
That's great, but I don't believe the Media Browswer has a nice, large icon view with preview similar to the Mac Finder...
I am not at a Mac right now, but afaik you should be able to drag clips from Finder to the Project panel in Premiere Pro.

Then, you can the either press , or . to place the multiple clips on the Timeline, or assign a Keyboard Shortcut to Open in Source Monitor to open multiple clips in the Source.
Old June 28th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

You can certainly drag them to the project panel, but was hoping to drag them to the preview or timeline... Thanks tho...

Best,

Ben
Old June 28th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
You can certainly drag them to the project panel, but was hoping to drag them to the preview or timeline... Thanks tho...
Thats why i wrote ...assign a Keyboard Shortcut to Open in Source Monitor to open multiple clips in the Source.

Drag the clips to the Project panel, hit the keyboard shortcut and you have all the clips you just dragged from finder open in the Source. So it's only one keystroke away. :) ( Source = preview )

To assign a Keyboard Shortcut:
1. Edit > Keyboard Shortcut
2. See attached image (Change it to whatever fits you)
3. Click OK
Attached Thumbnails
Dragging from the Finder to the Timeline or Source Monitor?-open_in_source_monitor.png  
Old June 28th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Howdy...

Sorry that I'm not being clearer.... I don't need multiple clips. I just love how in FCP I can drag a clip directly from my huge-thumbnail-finder view to the source or timeline without any other steps, dragging anywhere else, or messing with shortcuts.

It's not a deal-breaker...in fact it's a tiny item, but it's just something I miss from FCP 7. Dragging to the project windows first is easy, but an additional step I was hoping to circumvent...

Thanks anyways...

Best,

Ben
Old June 28th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Sorry that I'm not being clearer.... I don't need multiple clips. I just love how in FCP I can drag a clip directly from my huge-thumbnail-finder view to the source or timeline without any other steps, dragging anywhere else, or messing with shortcuts.
No problems, Ben! :)

I assumed that you meant multiple clips, my bad.

However, that shortcut is great to have anyway since several double clicks per day can be avoided. :)

Adobe listens to their customers, so please file a Feature Request and describe what you want: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite