A few questions from an FCP switcher... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 27th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A few questions from an FCP switcher...

Howdy...

I'm hoping that your collective brain power can answer a few questions that would be simple for me on FCP, but have me stumped on PP5.5:

1) Is there a quick way to copy/paste a title and make it 'independent' without having to go through the 'duplicate' command?

2) Is there a keyboard shortcut to change the size of the view in the program or source windows?

3) Is there a quick keyboard way to jump to the in-piont or out-point of a clip in the program window?

Thanks!

Best,

Ben
Ben Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: A few questions from an FCP switcher...

1. Try doing it in project window.
2. I don't think so.
3. If it is selected, you can define it in keyboard shortcuts, nominally it's shift+home/shift+end. If it's not selected, you can use pgup/pgdn to skip to next edit on the selected tracks. There is however no way to go to in/out point if it is just under cursor or to select this clip as in/out (x key in FCP).
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Major Player

1) Doubleclick title to open title-editor.
There should be a symbol next to the title's name: this creates a dublicate. You can change the name and/or content.
If you don't want to change anything 'inside' the title: just use the same one over and over again.

2) I'm not sure whether you can add shortcuts to the different workspaces. You should check that.
But you can make you own workspaces (= selecting sizes and locations of the windows and tabs) and save them. This way you can make the sizes the way you want them and switch easily.
However, if you want to zoom in or out on the footage in the window: I have no idea.
In AE it's ',' and '.' to zoom in and out and '/' to get back to 100% and centered view.

3)
In the source window you should try 'q' and 'w'.
At least I think I remember it correctly from years ago. (Haven't used them in years, so things might have changed).
To make in or out points in the source window use 'i' and 'o', but I guess you already know that.

In the timeline you can use pageup and down to move to the next cut.
Arrow left and right to move to the next frame and [shift]+[arrowleft/right] to move 5 frames.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Trustee

RE making a title "independant" for copy/paste- I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but if you need to create a title file that you can copy/ transfer elsewhere, etc., the procedure is:
Highlight the title in the project panel,
Click: File> Export> Title.
In the dialog box you can rename the title and select a storage location.
Now you have a discrete title file that is physically located seperately from the PPro project file.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Jumping to the beginning or end of the clip, as you suggest, doesn't include parts of the clip in a transition, so, for instance, adding a keyframe does not actually add it to the true beginning of the clip, just the part after the transition...

Regarding the titles... What I want to do is get a title the way I like it on the timeline, then copy it 20 or 30 times to other places on the timeline, and then edit its text in each location without the other locations being affected... Doable?

Ben
Old July 3rd, 2011, 12:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

It's doable but you'll have to have a different clip in the project bin for every title.
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Major Player

Like Zoran said, you need to duplicate the title in the project bin, and then select them all, insert them to the timeline and move them around, or drag them one by one.

Alternatively, create a title template, and then create new titles from the template straight on the timeline.
Old July 10th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Freedman View Post

2) Is there a keyboard shortcut to change the size of the view in the program or source windows?

Ben
The tilde (`) key maximizes the active window, great for doing near-fullscreen of the preview monitor for playback.
Ben Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter View Post
The tilde (`) key maximizes the active window, great for doing near-fullscreen of the preview monitor for playback.
Thanks, but what I'm looking for is not a way to expand or shrink the window, but rather the video IN the program windows. I know you can do it from the little menu underneath (that includes 'fit') but I was wondering if there's keyboard shortcut that can be used. I often switch between fit and 25% a lot to make adding motion keyframes easier...

Best,

Ben
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #10
Adobe Systems

Not that I know of Ben. Could you make a feature request for that? Go here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish
Old July 13th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #11
Contributor

Hey, Kevin...I apologize for being off topic but see your name here as an Adobe person. I installed the free trial, then bought the package and registered the serial number. Did not uninstall or reload. I've read someplace that there are a few little goodies left out of the trial package but i don't know what exactly. Should I uninstall and then reload from my DVDs, or can I just install from the DVDs to make sure I've got everything? Thanks.

By the way, I've only had time to watch a few training clips and play around with PP for a little while, but already I'm liking what I see better than FCP. Looking forward to a total switchover and migrating all my old projects over soon.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #12
Adobe Systems

I would uninstall and reinstall to be sure. More about uninstalling here: Uninstall Creative Suite | CS5, CS5.5
Old July 14th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #13
Contributor

Thanks, will do it as soon as possible.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite