Question on rendering for you gurus.... Thanks in advance... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 6th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Question on rendering for you gurus.... Thanks in advance...

Howdy...

I appreciate it if you can shed some light on this...

Why is it that if I render directly from my 1080p time line to a 640x360 preset in AME, the result looks like absolute crap, mostly because the still images and scaled video look terrible.

But, if I render to a 1080p format first, and then use that as the source for AME to render to a 640x360 preset, it looks great.

It'd be great to be able to skip the first render, but I cant get good results going direct to the 640x360 format (which I'm using for client proofs)

Any help is appreciated..

Best,

Ben
Ben Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Question on rendering for you gurus.... Thanks in advance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Freedman View Post
But, if I render to a 1080p format first, and then use that as the source for AME to render to a 640x360 preset, it looks great.
What exactly are you rendering the 1080p to?

Secondly, what is the source footage (codec)?
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm rendering to ProRes for the 1080p (the step I'd like to skip).

The source footage is made up of 1080p XDCAM, 1080p Canon 5D footage, and hi-res stills.

B.
Old July 7th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #4
Major Player

Is your "Maximum render quality" switch turned on?
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Walczak View Post
Is your "Maximum render quality" switch turned on?
Yeppers...

B.
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #6
Major Player

Strange. Try nesting your sequence in the sequence of destination dimensions, adding a little blur on top, and then exporting.
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Trustee

Curious. Why go to ProRes when you want to lose that step? Why not skip it all together?
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Actually, if you read my first post, that's what I'm trying to do. I'd rather skip the ProRes step and just render to the final form, but the quality looks crappy compared to rending to ProRes first...

B.
Old July 10th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #9
Major Player

Premiere does exhibit this strange behavior of exporting crappy SD files when there is a difference between the fields order between input and output or input and sequence. For some reason the footage gets automatically deinterlaced or even worse, edges are completely lost, and it looks almost like VHS. The only workaround that I found was to export first matching the sequence settings or at least to have the field order on the output matching the sequence field order.

For some time I thought it was the issue with Blackmagic cards, but now I'm not so sure.
Old July 10th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #10
Regular Crew

The symptoms you describe are similar to what I'm seeing, but since this is dSLR footage and stills, and the output format is progressive, I can't see why field order would have anything to do with it... The stills show the worst of the depredation, and they obviously aren't interlaced...

B.
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #11
Trustee

Can you give us a screen shot of your AME settings? Are you working on a mac or pc? Can you give us a screen shot of the crappy v/s the 'prorezzed' footage?

Have you tried another file size/type to render to? Have you tried exporting stills from the timeline? Do these have the same issues?

Do you own After Effects? If yes, have you tried rendering directly off AE?
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran View Post
Can you give us a screen shot of your AME settings? Are you working on a mac or pc? Can you give us a screen shot of the crappy v/s the 'prorezzed' footage?

Have you tried another file size/type to render to? Have you tried exporting stills from the timeline? Do these have the same issues?

Do you own After Effects? If yes, have you tried rendering directly off AE?
Howdy...

Thanks, but I have since moved on from this project. I'll try exporting some stills, but I was hoping this was a known issue that would have been brought up before. Unfortunately, it seems like there have been multiple issues like this with multiple reasons.

I do own AE, but I don't know how I would 'render directly off AE' as you mention. This is a PPro project. Also, the goal was to save time, and sending things over to AE would just require yet another time consuming step... I'm on a Mac, btw...

I'll just have to write this off to another odd quirk. I appreciate all the replies, however...

B.
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:09 AM   #13
Major Player

Ben.. you're not alone when it comes to the quirks of Media Encoder.

My workflow is pretty much what you found yourself having to do. I output intermediate renders using Cineform and do all my final outputs in TMPGenc and avoid all the issues you have described while outputting excellent files.

Tsunami, the company that makes TMPGenc has recently come out with an upgraded software which includes some basic timeline capabilities. While no substitute for Premiere, if it produces outputs as good or better as its predecessor, that's good news. Unfortunately, I don't know if it is available for the Mac.

Some of the difficulties of rendering various formats and parameters from Premiere can probably be attributed to how it scales, interlaces, etc.... but since Premiere 2.0, I haven't messed with it. Even without the difficulties you mention, and all things being equal... in my view, TMPGenc's outputs are superior

The render via After Effects could be achieved by an import of the Premiere project into AE. It's an effective means of bypassing AME. That has become a priority for many users over the years.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Baggen View Post
The render via After Effects could be achieved by an import of the Premiere project into AE. It's an effective means of bypassing AME. That has become a priority for many users over the years.
Wow! What a horrible workflow to have to import into AE just to get a decent render. Thankfully I'm not there yet. Sad to hear that the issue is 'cross platform' however...

Thanks for the info.

Best,

Ben
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #15
Major Player

Actually, one of the true strengths of the Adobe suite is its ability to effortlessly work between softwares. Dynamic Link and the ability to import are actually methods to eliminate the need for intermediate renders, especially when creating sequences in AE that you want in a Premiere project. Granted, the reason for you needing to do so is not the greatest (bypassing one encoding module for another), but the handshaking between programs such as AE and Premiere can be a real time saver.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite