PP: "Generating Peak Files" out of control! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 20th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #1
New Boot

PP: "Generating Peak Files" out of control!

Suddenly, PP wants to generate peak files for every file I import. Worse yet, if I open an existing project, wait forever for the peak files to be generated, save, close, and reopen the same file, it starts the generating process all over again. This even happens if I start a new project.

I have a case with tech support, but it may be days before I hear back and I'm on deadline.

I've deleted the preferences, changed scratch discs, moved files to different discs, cleaned the cache, even cleaned my system with a program called Cocktail. Nothing has helped.

System = Mac Pro dual quad, 16GB RAM, 4x1TB hard drives.

ANY SUGGESTIONS????
Steven Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 10:13 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: PP: "Generating Peak Files" out of control!

No thanks to Adobe tech support, I figured this out. There is a box in media preferences that says something like "keep cache files near originals".

DO NOT CHECK THIS BOX!

Once this was unchecked, things went back to normal.
Steven Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 08:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: PP: "Generating Peak Files" out of control!

A similar problem turned up last month on PCs when using Cineform Neo files with CS 5.5.

Going to Edit-->Preferences--> Media and unchecking "save media files near originals when possible" did nto fix the problem. What avoided the problem it on the PC was going further down the page and unchecking the box for "Write XMP ID Files on Import." There is a discussion of this in the last two pages of this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform...patable-3.html

Cineform came out with an update to Neo that fixed the problem. so I re-enabled "write XMP ID files on import." At least, it fixed the problem for me for a couple of weeks. It came back on a recent project. This time, I found that unchecking the Media Preference for "Enable Clip and XMP Metadata linking" avoided the latest instance of the constant reconforming and regenerating of peak files.
Jay West is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite