avoiding conforming audio? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 07:05 AM   #1
Major Player

avoiding conforming audio?

is there a format to record audio in that Adobe can use without conforming - so it doesn't need to "conform" audio after import?
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 07:31 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: avoiding conforming audio?

In most cases it's just the time it takes to split off the audio file and build the visual image. Importing an audio file takes a little less time to conform - but Sony Sound forge takes very similar times to build up the visual image file. I guess it's just having to read the data, and it takes a while.

It's quite short a time - are you having really long-winded ones?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 07:49 AM   #3
Major Player

no, doesn't take all that long. just thought I could save a "conversion step" - if that's what it was doing.

thanks for your input
Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:54 PM   #4
Major Player

There are two things that can be happening:

1. Premiere building a waveform (peak) file for presentation purposes. No conversion is going on.
2. Premiere actually converting the audio to 32-bit 48kHz for best performance.

With most formats only 1 is going on.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 06:28 PM   #5
Major Player

If you could turn it off, but you can't, you would not have a waveform.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Major Player

HI,
I have loads of MXF that have 8 audio tracks.. and it takes ages to conform !
I don't need any of the audio tracks.. Is there a way to avoid conforming in Premiere? I don't need audio from these files !
Thanks, M
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #7
Major Player

Can you capture "video only"? (you choose this in your Capture window)
Old October 10th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #8
Major Player

I am not capturing on my machine... These files come from another company... It is broadcast footage from 4 cameras and comes from another company that gives me the files on an external disk.
I just need to stop conforming or, if not possible, to remove audio tracks from the MXF files.
Some footage I have in AVI format wit ha single stereo track and takes much less.. Still If I find a way of NOT IMPORTING audio it will be even better !
Old October 18th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #9
Major Player

What do you want to do with the audio, in the end?

If you have a long clip, and you know there's some junk you do not want at the beginning and end, just cut that stuff off right away, then it will not take as long to conform.

If you don't even want to copy the audio over with the video, the next best thing would be to drop your clip on the timeline, select it, go to Clip, go to Unlink, then delete the audio.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #10
Major Player

I need ALL the video and NONE of the audio.. but as far as I understand it will still go on conforming even if I unlink and throw away audio.. Conforming goes with the clip being in the Project Bin even if not actually used in the timeline.. Maybe I got it wrong but that is how it seems to work
Old October 18th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #11
Major Player

I just did a little test, and yeah you're right about that. Never mind...
I guess you'll just need to let it conform.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 11:07 PM   #12
Inner Circle

It's really annoying Adobe adopted the audio conforming process. It upconvert all audio to 32-bit for the efficient floating point CPU calculation. Drawing the wave display is another process called Peak file.

In most cases it is fine as it seems the conforming is running behind the scene. However, it generate huge temp files that won't be deleted automatically. In times, there're lots of those temp files in the media cache folder specified in Preferences. Also, for working on huge project, audio conforming would take a long time before someone can actually start editing.

Many times Adobe didn't do a good job in the conforming audio process. Sometimes it will goes into a loop on conforming. If that happens, need to delete all the .CFA files then let premiere re-confirm at the next project start up. Don't touch or do anything before the conforming is complete finished.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 12:47 AM   #13
Major Player

Premiere, compared to Final Cut 7 for example.. doesn't need to render audio once you are working.... I guess this is a feature that needs this conforming before.. But.. somebody should take it as a suggestion... why not give me the option to import VIDEO ONLY clips... MXF can have 8 or 16 audio tracks and sometimes these are useless !
Old October 22nd, 2012, 10:15 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Premiere still render audio before previewing. Say like, if you change the speed of the clip but retain pitch. In that case, premiere will render the audio before previewing the timeline.
Old October 25th, 2012, 05:09 AM   #15
Major Player

SUre... audio will render if effected..but not touching volumes etc...

I hate this conforming.... Everytime I plus in the drive (I use a dock) it does the conforming again.... Like in a PC when it changes the drive letter... It's almost impossible to work this way.... And the worst thing is that I don't even need audio !
M
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite