need help with a sync problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 28th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Major Player

need help with a sync problem

I got handed some footage from an iPhone 4. The footage is actually decent for what it is, and the rough edit is good enough that the client wants to move forward. The final target is video for YouTube, so nothing terribly fancy.

The problem is that the video leads the audio. In some places by a lot. It looks like the sync is off by about two seconds for every sixty of run time. Since the original footage is in files that are several minutes long each, this is a problem I'll have to fix. Thankfully there's no faces in the video, so I don't have to be really accurate at the lip-sync level. But a couple of seconds between an action and a sound is way noticeable.

What I need to learn how to do is to cut the audio separately from the video in Premiere Pro CS5, and how to slide the audio relative to the video to make them line up in the individual short clips I'll cut from the original footage.

So... how do I separate the audio and video? and how do I slide the audio back and forth to line it back up with the audio? Once lined up, how do I re-link the video and audio so I can make subclips? Can I do that in the Source Monitor or do I have to do this on the main timeline?

Clearly I'm a total newbie at this kind of editing; any pointers to tutorials (I've searched and found nothing that pertains, but I'm sure they are out there somewhere) or instructions are gratefully received.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 04:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: need help with a sync problem

First make sure it is really a problem with footage, not with Quicktime and Premiere and it's audio conforming. Play it out on VLC player or some third-party tool. We've had our own share of issues with out-of-sync audio that was essentially only a problem with Quicktime, not with the footage itself.

If it is indeed the issue with footage, the only workaround that I can see is dropping the clips on the timeline and syncing it manually. You can unlink the audio and video by right-clicking on the clip and selecting "unlink", alt-clicking on video or audio to select only video or audio portion of the clip without unlinking, and if you have a lot of such work to do you can define a keyboard shortcut for unlink action in keyboard settings.

Hope this helps.
Old August 6th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #3
Contributor

Re: need help with a sync problem

I agree. Play the clip on something else to make sure it really is out of sync. I have to make WMVs for a client, and while my timeline is in sync and my QT export is in sync, the WMV always plays out of sync. Finally checked it on a PC and it was in perfect sync. WMVs just play out of sync on a Mac, apparently. It could be something similar with your footage.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite