DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Sell me on Premiere (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/499282-sell-me-premiere.html)

Noa Put August 8th, 2011 01:17 AM

Re: Sell me on Premiere

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Russell (Post 1673310)
I've already upgraded to the latest Cineform Neo and my QT to 7.7 and now I'm going to upgrade to CS5.5 to see if this fixes it. Expensive morning :-)

Also have premiere cs5 and the latest cineform neo on my pc and eventhough I don't use it that much anymore to edit it has not crashed on me so far.

Bart Walczak August 8th, 2011 05:30 AM

Paul, it must be something about your system, we're pretty stable on Win7. I'd say check your memory first. Also you can download 5.5 trial, and see if it will solve the problem, no need to spend money, it's fully functional.

Bill Pryor August 8th, 2011 06:54 AM

It seems to me, from what I've read about and from Adobe that they are committed to the professional market, much like Avid. I do have to say that I probably would have gone back to Avid had I not had so damn many FCP projects that are still active. I worked on Avid for about 10 years and I think it's still the most intuitive, fastest system available. The reason we switched to FCP was at that time Macs seemed to be getting shoved way into second place by Avid, and we were an all Mac studio. Today, that's not the case, but I think PP handles the FCP files nicely with no need to purchase third party software. I imported one long complicated project last week and there were no problems, other than the FCP color effects were funky. However, they opened up as PP effects, so it was easy to tweak them.

Having said all that, there's no compelling reason to abandon FCP 7 if it's working for you--other than to take advantage of the 1/2 price deal. On the other hand, with my new 8 core Mac Pro, I do have to say that PP is running a lot better than FCP 7. More stable too--not a single crash yet. I have a lot of FCP crashes, and yes, I've trashed the preferences and all that good stuff. Probably wants a total reinstall since I migrated to the new computer, but I'm really reluctant to do that.

Buba Kastorski August 8th, 2011 09:32 AM

if you're on PC, Vegas and Edius are still faster and less resource intensive, also being real time;
I'm not guessing, I have them all installed on the same very decent PC, i7 980, 24Gb, 3x240 gb revo SSDs with internal RAID0, GTX580, actually Vegas is the fastest.

Jim Snow August 8th, 2011 03:29 PM

The thing that sold me is the obvious effort that Adobe is putting into actively supporting their customers. Their support resources are awesome. It is very clear that they place great emphasis on this. That means a lot to me. The other NLE publishers are detached and aloof from their customers and the market in general. I don't use any product because I'm "supposed to" or need to be socially accepted because I do. Adobe rules now with their customer support attitude. The other NLE 'hawkers' don't even come close. One of them seems to be showing outright contempt to their customers base and doesn't seem to mind blatantly deceiving them. They apparently think their customers' religious fervor will let them get by with that 'stuff.'

Jim Snow August 8th, 2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Russell (Post 1673297)
Premiere on PC (W7) is just about the buggiest, most nasty, unreliable piece of software I've ever used.

It sounds like you need to fix or replace your computer. I and a number of my associates use Premiere Pro on a PC running win 7 and it's as solid as a rock. It's time for you to take hard look at your computer.

Andrew Smith August 8th, 2011 10:31 PM

If you have purchased a Matrox MXO2 for use with FCP, you can still use the same hardware for PremierePro. Just apply the PPro version of the drivers and you're up and running.

Actually, you can also do this with Avid. But I like PPro. :-)

Andrew

Kevin Monahan August 10th, 2011 01:43 PM

Because folks on the Premiere Pro team frequent the forums and answer questions for you! ;-)

Paul Kapp August 11th, 2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Snow (Post 1673461)
It sounds like you need to fix or replace your computer. I and a number of my associates use Premiere Pro on a PC running win 7 and it's as solid as a rock. It's time for you to take hard look at your computer.

I second that.
Having used Premiere on and off for 15 years on Mac & PC, I have never experienced such stability.
And the CUDA is the Kuta(real thing).
To be able to play Quicktime uncompressed HD (from a Hyperdeck Shuttle) and mix 2 streams in an effect, without rendering, then output(render) very fast, still in uncompressed QT, on a computer that cost $2000 and not $8000+.
There have been a few false starts(XP 64, Vista 64, Pr CS4).
I was sceptical at first but, now there is true 64 bit worklow.
It's been a long time coming but it's the holy grail for me.

Mathieu Ghekiere August 12th, 2011 03:56 AM

I'm an FCP user who just bought the CS5.5. Production Premium.

Why?

Well, first, I want to say I still prefer FCP as an editor in comparison with Premiere Pro.
Premiere Pro may have some 64bit goodness, but in a lot of 'basic' things, FCP is quicker and to my opinion better.

But why did I bought it?

1. The deal. Having 50 % off, isn't a chance we will get anytime soon again.

2. I didn't have a Photoshop license already, so this alone already makes the deal a good one.
Especially seeing the content aware fill in action.

3. The 'package'. I didn't really bought it for Premiere Pro, but for the package of After FX, Encore, Media Encoder, Premiere Pro as a component, Photoshop, Audition... It's just a very good package for the money. I wouldn't have bought it at the original price, but at this promotion, I can't say no.
This of course hangs together with the interaction of the programs and the dynamic linking, which is great and FCS can't hold a candle too.

4. Biggest reason... FCPX. Maybe in the future it will be a great program. At this point it's a dud, and it's shameful that Apple calls this professional software. I bought it. Asked for a refund after I ordered Adobe.
I love most of Apple's stuff, I still think their OS beats Windows in so many ways it isn't even funny anymore, but they lost a LOT of credit with the FCP X release.
And as someone already said: One point in the future, we will have to upgrade. If FCP X still is as bad as it is now, then I would kill myself for not taking advantage of the deal now.

So for me, it's not that I'm switching my editor, but that I'm making a good investment.
(considering having a good lot's of licenses, a good package of software that hands you some features that can really help and you don't have access to with FCS, and being able to upgrade later, etc. ...)

Andrew Smith August 12th, 2011 06:11 AM

A cloaked figure stands near the FCP booth at the markets.

"This is not the editing software you are looking for." [mysterious wave of hand]

;-)

Andrew

Ben Freedman August 12th, 2011 10:26 AM

"I didn't leave Final Cut Pro.... Final Cut Pro left me!"

-Ben

Walter Brokx August 13th, 2011 06:48 AM

I can't sell you Premiere if the first thing you do is checking the silly/stupid and amateur transitions :-p
You don't have to use them...

Premiere digests almost any codec natively, opens your old FCP-projects, is superbly competible with AE, Photoshop, Audition and Encore. Especiallly Dynamic-linking between PP and AE is great.
You can even load your FCP-shortcuts, so your Cut is still Blade and V (probably named V because off the shape) is still Arrow.
And you can go 64-bit.

Patrick Janka August 13th, 2011 03:36 PM

The product sells itself.

Bill Pryor August 14th, 2011 09:22 AM

"I didn't leave Final Cut Pro.... Final Cut Pro left me!"

-Ben

Good one!!!